3D Vision Experience - Sid Meier's Civilization IV
Here you've got a game that was released in 2005 and NVIDIA has given it an Excellent rating when it comes to 3D Vision. Before firing up the game I really found myself a bit skeptical about this. I had a look at Red Alert 3 which received a Good and while it was good, the lack of 3D effects had me feeling it wasn't quite deserving of that rating.
Civilization IV is different, though, and it's really one of the first times I understood the ratings that NVIDIA gives the games. Here you've got a game where the mouse pointer is one of the most important aspects of the game and you don't have that weird feeling like you're kind of guessing where to click to select what you want like Sims 3.
I tend to play Civilization IV from the highest camera point and you get a good feel of 3D effects. The menus sit right in front of you and give the feeling that you could kind of grab them and start selecting what you want. As for the players and animals, you also get a really good sense of 3D. As you zoom in, though, that effect is just multiplied; moving in to look at the elephant camp, you have this really great sensation.
Civilization IV is one of those games that I play when I want to sit back, put on some music and spend a good couple of hours not having to worry about anything. While initially it does take a little to get used to, the whole effects of 3D Vision with little things like "Press Enter to end turn" not being as noticeable as it sits more in front of you, after a little bit of time you get into the swing of things and it becomes a fantastic play.
It's not like Resident Evil 5 in the sense that it's a completely new experience, but it has a good feeling about it and just brings a bit of new life into a game that has been around for almost five years. You wouldn't buy the 3D Vision set if all you played was Civilization IV, but if it was just one of the many games you played you can know that you're going to see some value in playing the game with the kit.
Our Rating - Excellent. This is a really good balance of effects and playability. While I felt a bit skeptical going into it thinking it would be a bit more Sims 3 and Red Alert 3, when it come to effects it really wasn't. It offered some really nice effects and while it did affect my game play initially, it didn't take that long to adjust.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The 3D Vision Kit]
- Page 3 [The 3D Vision Kit - Continued]
- Page 4 [The ViewSonic FuHzion VX2268wm]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and Install Ease]
- Page 6 [3D Vision Experience - Sims 3]
- Page 7 [3D Vision Experience - World of Warcraft]
- Page 8 [3D Vision Experience - Red Alert 3]
- Page 9 [3D Vision Experience - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [3D Vision Experience - Mirrors Edge]
- Page 11 [3D Vision Experience - Darkest of Days]
- Page 12 [3D Vision Experience - Batman: Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [3D Vision Experience - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 14 [3D Vision Experience - Sid Meier's Civilization IV]
- Page 15 [3D Vision Experience - Dirt II Demo]
- Page 16 [3D Vision Experience - Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Demo]
- Page 17 [3D Vision Experience - James Cameron's Avatar: The Game Demo]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks: The Performance Hit]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Simplify World Travel With the Twist Plus+ World Charging Station
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's pre-order scheme could change everything
- Ocarina of Time gets an enchanting Unreal Engine 4 makeover
- ASUS unveils the new Poseidon Platinum GTX 980 Ti video card
- Sony unveils the Xperia Z5 Premium, the world's first 4K smartphone
- ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 support Intel SSD 750 Series
- Saberthooth 990FX gpu passtrough
- asrock x99 extreme 4 extra pins
- GIGABYTE Z170X-UD5 (Intel Z170) Motherboard Review
- ACPI wakeup/shutdown no longer works after UEFI flash.
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015