The Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
Once I got it out of the foam and set the boxes aside, this is what I found. One sexy piece of kit in my opinion! I will just let you soak this in and get into detail later.
From the side we can see how well both fans cover the massive sets of fins from top to bottom. The 140mm in the middle actually sits proud of the cooler a bit on all four sides. Both fans are wired separately, but Noctua takes care of you, as I will show in the hardware section.
This angle gives you a better idea of how it all works. A 120mm fan in the front of a "saw-toothed" fin that surrounds one end of the six heat pipes. Then a NH-P14 takes over and sucks in a bit of fresh air from the sides, as well as reusing the 120mm fans flow to cool a second, similar set of fins that house the other end of the heat pipes.
From this side, if connected, you would be getting blasted by air. The rear of the fins is "saw-toothed" just like the other sides, and if you chose to, you could add a third fan here as well.
Noctua proudly stamps their name on these almost 60mm deep fins. There is no doubt of the design of the "saw-tooth" look I was referring to. This design helps agitate the air, while spacing the fan correctly from the fins for superior airflow.
Removing the fans allows me to explain a few other things that really benefit this cooler. The total amount of surface area doesn't hurt it, first off. Beyond that, the centred placement of the heat pipes allows for the main flow of the fan to cool the pipes and the fins very efficiently. Something new to me here is the addition of the Teflon strips pressed into grooves in the fins. These should do a great job of isolating any fan vibrations or chatter.
This is the view you will have during installation. The 140mm fan does need to be removed to allow mounting to any of the approved sockets.
Moving down to the correct level, the mounting plate that is on the cooler stays there. There is nothing to change as far as the mounting on this end. These two screws with spring tension are used with all of the mounting types and configurations.
The top plate on the base is under mounted to give it a clean finished look. Inside those four screws there is the mating surface. As with all Noctua coolers, it uses a milled copper base, this time in nickel plating, just like the heat pipes which this cooler sports six of.
Here is a close look at the new NH-P14. This fan is 1400mm and as I mentioned is rated both higher in CFM than the 120mm, but does it with less noise. An added feature; it's the round cage, this allows Noctua to offer a bigger fan that installs with the usual 120mm fan spacing.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Creative teams with Twitch on level up race in WoW
- Nintendo NX prototype was a tablet and docking station
- CD Projekt RED now worth over $1 billion
- Choose a side in our 'Captain America' Blu-ray giveaway
- UK retailer offers HTC Vive headset on monthly payments
- ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 not posting - error 69, 72, ......
- Memory Slot Issue - Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
- Asrock EP2C602-4L/D16 memory question?
- were is the 1394 label
- GB's z170x G7's audio compared to G1's
- HyperX introduces new ALLOY gaming keyboard
- ADATA launches the ultimate SU800SATA 6Gb/s 3D NAND SSD
- CAPE Audio shakes up the headphone industry with the release of Rebellion Headphones
- Tesoro announces ambidextrous, White Sharur SE Spectrum gaming mouse
- Eurocom launches worlds first GTX 1080 SLI VR-Ready laptop