The Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
Once I got it out of the foam and set the boxes aside, this is what I found. One sexy piece of kit in my opinion! I will just let you soak this in and get into detail later.
From the side we can see how well both fans cover the massive sets of fins from top to bottom. The 140mm in the middle actually sits proud of the cooler a bit on all four sides. Both fans are wired separately, but Noctua takes care of you, as I will show in the hardware section.
This angle gives you a better idea of how it all works. A 120mm fan in the front of a "saw-toothed" fin that surrounds one end of the six heat pipes. Then a NH-P14 takes over and sucks in a bit of fresh air from the sides, as well as reusing the 120mm fans flow to cool a second, similar set of fins that house the other end of the heat pipes.
From this side, if connected, you would be getting blasted by air. The rear of the fins is "saw-toothed" just like the other sides, and if you chose to, you could add a third fan here as well.
Noctua proudly stamps their name on these almost 60mm deep fins. There is no doubt of the design of the "saw-tooth" look I was referring to. This design helps agitate the air, while spacing the fan correctly from the fins for superior airflow.
Removing the fans allows me to explain a few other things that really benefit this cooler. The total amount of surface area doesn't hurt it, first off. Beyond that, the centred placement of the heat pipes allows for the main flow of the fan to cool the pipes and the fins very efficiently. Something new to me here is the addition of the Teflon strips pressed into grooves in the fins. These should do a great job of isolating any fan vibrations or chatter.
This is the view you will have during installation. The 140mm fan does need to be removed to allow mounting to any of the approved sockets.
Moving down to the correct level, the mounting plate that is on the cooler stays there. There is nothing to change as far as the mounting on this end. These two screws with spring tension are used with all of the mounting types and configurations.
The top plate on the base is under mounted to give it a clean finished look. Inside those four screws there is the mating surface. As with all Noctua coolers, it uses a milled copper base, this time in nickel plating, just like the heat pipes which this cooler sports six of.
Here is a close look at the new NH-P14. This fan is 1400mm and as I mentioned is rated both higher in CFM than the 120mm, but does it with less noise. An added feature; it's the round cage, this allows Noctua to offer a bigger fan that installs with the usual 120mm fan spacing.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Aware of 'let's play' videos? Here's every single one summarized
- This Grand Theft Auto IV hyper-realistic mod is better than real life
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 arrives, IGN says pop-shove it in the garbage
- The important question has been answered: Will the new iPhone 6s bend?
- Beautiful film made using only water, a 5 yen coin and an Apple iPhone
- Hi I Really Need Advice as to Where I Can Find Genuine Asmedia Drivers?
- Samsung FIT MUF-64BB 64GB USB 3.0 Pico Flash Drive Review
- Why will my video card not work?
- M.2 Drive not showing up.
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Stabilty Issue!!!
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog