OK then, let's get to the meat of the matter. We've talked about how the new kid on the block has the promise of being a winner, but all the chatting in the world can't take the place of cold, hard numbers. So let us begin by taking a look at the test system:
Antec PLUS1080 Tower Case
EPoX 8KHA+ Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ Processor
512MB Crucial PC2100 DDR Memory
X-Micro Impact Ti4200
Seagate Barracuda 40GB Hard Drive
Ambient temperature during all tests was a constant 21C. The Core voltage is set at 1.80v and memory voltage is set at 2.6v. Testing will consist of standard testing procedures that are used for measuring heatsink temperatures. The temperature will be taken at idle, then after a Quake III Arena Deathmatch. After the processor has had a chance to cool back off to idle temperature again, a looping demo of 3DMark2001 will be run and the temperature taken there. This should cover the bases of seeing if it can hang with the Arctic Silver line.
But wait! We can't just have a little contest with only stock speeds, can we? I don't think so. To make things more interesting, I'll perform a set of tests at the default 1533MHz speed. Then I'll go ahead and boost the processor speed up to 1668MHz by using only FSB overclocking (11.5*145). This should heat things up quite nicely and we'll get a better overall look at the abilities of the TherMagic TIM.
In the red corner, weighing in at 2.5 grams, the challenger, TherMagic!
In the blue corner, weighing in at 3 grams, the Champion, Arctic Silver III!
Temperature - Idle
Round one began as a draw, but the TherMagic quickly came up and took the advantage with its idle temperature while overclocking the FSB. A full degree Celsius is a very nice improvement, but can it maintain its edge when we crank up the heat?
Temperature - Quake III Arena
Not even a question here. TherMagic takes the round unanimously. It's interesting to note that the compound seems to do better when it heats up. Good performance while at default is great, but better performance under stress makes you sit back and take notice. It looks to be trying very hard to earn a place in the enthusiast market.
Temperature - 3DMark2001 Demo Loop
Round three ends in a draw. The TherMagic and the Arctic Silver III both won one test by a half-degree. So the result ends up being
The winner and New Champion, Evergreen Technologies' TherMagic!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Fallout 4 Steam patch adds Survival difficulty, improves performance
- Complaints to FCC over data caps rose nearly tenfold in 2015
- Zuckerberg says Facebook plans to 'lead the way' in VR with Oculus
- Xenoblade Chronicles now available on Wii U Virtual Console
- Ace the Agile Certification Exam With This $45 Training
- Thecus N5810 Consumer NAS Review
- Cold double post on Z77X-UD5H
- Lian Li PC-X510 question about resonance sound
- 1MORE Swarovski Crystal Piston Earphones Review
- 990fx motherboard with AMD 9370
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched