What? Am I crazy? A spec page on goop?
Since TherMagic is going against the Giant of the industry, it's important to see why they think they have a claim at the title match. After all, there have been a number of others who have tried this same task with varying degrees of success. Let's see what the new kid on the block has to offer.
Most Thermal Interface Material (TIM) that is designed for high-end use contains some sort of a highly conductive material. In the case of Arctic Silver, this obviously consists of Silver. Other common ingredients include Boron Nitride and Aluminum. While the Evergreen White Papers don't specifically state what their conductive material is, it stands to reason that it will fall into this same realm of base material. After all, this is the only way to bring forth a competitive product.
But what sets TherMagic apart from the others is the filler material. Their claim is that it consists of a viscous silicone oil. What this means to you is that there will be far fewer air pockets between the core and the heatsink because TherMagic compresses better and seals the gaps more efficiently. So as long as the actual thermally conductive material is worth anything, this should create a better interface and better heat dissipation. We'll have to see about that in a bit.
Another item of note is the fact that TherMagic compresses to a thinner layer than Arctic Silver, or any other common TIM for that matter. This will be helpful because there will be less interference occurring between the core and the business end of your heatsink. After all, even with a highly conductive material, you still want as much heat as possible to transfer directly to the HSF.
Application of TherMagic is like any other quality TIM. You place a small amount on the processor core and then use a credit card or similar item to spread it into a thin, smooth coating. From there, all that needs to be done is to add in the HSF to the mix and you're ready for action.
There are two things that bear noting. First off, the TherMagic goop is thicker than Arctic Silver. While it isn't difficult to apply, it just needed to be noted that the consistency isn't what you'll be used to when you spread it onto the core. Secondly, you should not use this TIM if you are still using an uncoated aluminum sink. That's right, those still using the old, faithful GlobalWin FOP/WBK line of coolers need not apply here. While it is not a strict taboo, there is a chance that a reaction will occur between the bare aluminum and the materials in TherMagic. You have been warned!
Oh, if you happen to be rather new at all this system building stuff, then you'll be pleased to know that the Evergreen website has an all-out step-by-step application instruction that can easily be printed out for your use while performing this task. It begins with making sure you have everything you need, to cleaning the processor, to applying the TIM, and finally to installing the heatsink. Very nice touch.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- iPad Pro chip A9X broken down, specs revealed
- AMD Crimson driver causing fan issues, hotfix incoming
- Apacer announces new Panther 2666MHz DDR4 RAM modules
- Police called due to altercation between eSports pro and journalist
- Amazon's new Prime Air drones deliver packages in 30 minutes or less
- Gigsbyte motherboard supprt problem
- be quiet! Dark Rock TF Top Flow CPU Cooler Review
- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Problems With USB3
- Star Wars Battlefront PlayStation 4 Review
- "Cheap" 4K Rig
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis