Gainward supplies a somewhat small package with the Golden Sample Ti4200. This is not surprising since the card is aimed towards the value end of the Ti scales. The package comes with the card (well if it didn't I think you would have something to complain about), 4 CD Applications (including WinDVD), Users manual, DVI to CRT converter and TV Out cables. In all, a standard package.
The card size and layout is based around the nVidia reference design for the Ti4200. After all, why change something that is working for them? Located on the top are four memory modules and the heatsink which isn't based on the reference design.
Heatsink and GPU
As mentioned above, the heatsink on the Gainward card is not the reference heatsink unit that nVidia recommend, however, it does a great job of cooling the GPU. Under the sink itself is the Ti4200 GeForce4 GPU unit running at 250MHz. Overclocking, we managed to run the GPU at 280MHz with stock cooling and 300MHz when replacing the cooler with a larger model.
The Golden Sample uses eight Samsung TSOP 4ns memory modules for a total of 128MB memory onboard. The memory on the card runs at 225DDR (450MHz) and the memory modules for the card are located on both the front and back of the card. While only 4ns, this memory did clock at 530MHz without any cooling. Since this card wasn't available to keep, we didn't stick any heatsinks onto the memory. After all, we didn't want to deface the card.
The Gainward Golden Sample supports Video In/Out features. Doing the video decoding/encoding tasks is the Phillips TV/Video Codec. This chip is being used in place of Conixant and Chroitech controllers as it does a much better job. Handling the PC to TV conversion is the Silicon Image TV encoder. This same chip is used on the Realmagic DVD and MPG4 encoder cards so it provides very good TV quality compared to older GeForce cards.
DVI to CRT Converter
Since the GeForce4 supports dual monitors (nView as nVidia calls it), Gainward has included a DVI to CRT converter. This converter allows you to connect a CRT 15 pin monitor to the DVI port allowing two CRT monitors to be used. It is great to see companies now starting to supply this converter as standard.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Gainward Ti4200 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Gainward Ti4200 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Gainward Ti4200 - Page 3 [Features]
- Gainward Ti4200 - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System and MadOnion]
- Gainward Ti4200 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Gainward Ti4200 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- Gainward Ti4200 - Page 7 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Toshiba brings 64-layer 3D flash to retail SATA SSDs
- Apple will make its own OLED screens for 2018 iPhones
- Huawei Kirin 970 goes into mass production in September
- Xiaomi announces Mi AI Speaker priced at mere $45
- AMD's new 17.7.2 drivers include Enhanced Sync, and more
- AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200 CPU Review
- Lian-Li PC-O5SW...Watercooling and dimensions
- Toshiba XG5 1TB OEM M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Toshiba N300 8TB High-Reliability HDD Review
- Alphacool Eiswand External CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- Toshiba introduces TR200 SATA retail SSD series with 64-layer 3D flash memory
- Need for Speed Payback takes cars from scrap to stock to supercar in new trailer
- Visbit releases Unity SDK and web VR player for its all-in-one VR streaming service, bringing high quality VR streaming to the masses
- GWENT Gamescom 2017 tournament announced
- Toshiba NVMe SSDs now available with Lenovo's new ThinkSystem and ThinkAgile servers