After spending some time testing Seagate's Savvio drives with different configurations on the LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i, it became clear that the Savvio 10K.3 didn't see any benefit from the controller's SAS 2.0 interface other than the boost in write performance from the cache. The Savvio 15K.2 and Cheetah 15K.7 both saw a boost. That said, you will be perfectly fine running the 10K.3 on your existing SAS RAID controller and not need to worry about upgrading.
The performance of the Seagate 10K.3 is quite high when compared to 7,200 RPM drives like the Seagate Constellation, but I am sad to report that the Western Digital VelociRaptor runs nearly identical in most tests. When it comes to cost of ownership the VelociRaptor also has the 10K.3 beat.
Since our tests were all single drive performance, it is still difficult to see how these drives would compare in real world usage tests since nearly all of the Savvio drives sold end up in RAID arrays in servers. Our single drive server tests had the 10K.3 outperforming the VelociRaptor in both File and Web Server patterns.
Over the next few weeks we are going to spend a great deal of time testing other enterprise hard drives to find the best in class in each category. Our two weeks of Seagate testing is just the beginning.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Seagate Savvio 10K.3]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft Paint killed off with new Creators Update
- The new iPhone 8 might be all about AR
- Apple sued by insurance company for alleged iPhone fire
- You can now get Xiaomi Mi 6 with 9,000 mAh battery
- Note8 color options leak: Samsung to introduce Deep Blue
- Maximum ratio (x39) with 4,06GHz for i7 4770 on GA Z87X-UD3H?
- Supermicro SuperO Booster Software Guide
- How to make one network using 2 routers
- Lian-Li DK02 Watercooling and dimensions
- ASUS X200 CA 1.0 should camera appear in system in control panel?
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4