After spending some time testing Seagate's Savvio drives with different configurations on the LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i, it became clear that the Savvio 10K.3 didn't see any benefit from the controller's SAS 2.0 interface other than the boost in write performance from the cache. The Savvio 15K.2 and Cheetah 15K.7 both saw a boost. That said, you will be perfectly fine running the 10K.3 on your existing SAS RAID controller and not need to worry about upgrading.
The performance of the Seagate 10K.3 is quite high when compared to 7,200 RPM drives like the Seagate Constellation, but I am sad to report that the Western Digital VelociRaptor runs nearly identical in most tests. When it comes to cost of ownership the VelociRaptor also has the 10K.3 beat.
Since our tests were all single drive performance, it is still difficult to see how these drives would compare in real world usage tests since nearly all of the Savvio drives sold end up in RAID arrays in servers. Our single drive server tests had the 10K.3 outperforming the VelociRaptor in both File and Web Server patterns.
Over the next few weeks we are going to spend a great deal of time testing other enterprise hard drives to find the best in class in each category. Our two weeks of Seagate testing is just the beginning.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Seagate Savvio 10K.3]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Watch Dogs 2 updated on the PC, long list of fixes
- Del Toro: F*ck Konami, killing Silent Hills was moronic
- NBA is being aired in 4K in the US this weekend
- Ubisoft: PC-like consoles was a 'good decision'
- 8 minutes of new Prey gameplay footage released
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ADATA SV620 480GB Portable SSD Review
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset