It's always great to implement some new benchmarks into our video card line-up. The simple fact is that when it comes to purchasing a computer, the video card is one of the most looked at items. By offering more benchmarks that make use of the latest technology, we're able to give you an even greater idea of how the card will perform in current and future releases using technology like DX11 and PhysX where applicable.
The HD 5870 faired very well with a lot of the new games we're using today. We see the model perform strong under the new Batman Arkham Asylum game at all resolutions while also performing well in other games like the new DX11 based BattleForge.
It's also great to see new cooling options on a high-end model and even better when the said cooling offers us better numbers. In this case we manage to get a drop in temperature while also receiving a drop in noise levels. When it comes to comparing a new cooler to its stock one, there's nothing more you can ask for.
If that wasn't enough for you already, you'll find yourself excited by the fact that Sapphire have not only given us a small bump in MHz which gives us a consistent increase in performance, but also a couple of full version games including the future DirectX 11 title, Dirt 2.
Really, the only thing we can fault about the whole card is that it would've been nice to see a bigger bump in the core and memory clock, especially since the cooler that Sapphire are using manages to do a good job of keeping core temperatures down.
With that said, we completely understand why the MHz hasn't been bumped even higher. The cream of the crop for Sapphire when it comes to performance models is the ATOMIC version and we don't doubt they're saving the big clocks for that model. You also have the ability to overclock the card yourself, be it with the internal Overdrive feature or using 3rd party software.
With all that said and done, it's very hard to fault the HD 5870 Vapor-X OC from Sapphire. The simple fact is we've got better cooling numbers, less noise and more performance than the stock model. Sapphire has also helped add a second game to the package to make it stand out that little bit more.
If you're looking for a HD 5870 that stands out a bit more than the normal one, the Vapor-X version is one model worth looking at. If you want even more out of the box performance and you don't mind waiting a little longer, the inevitable ATOMIC version of the card might be what you're after.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Tesla to double the number of Superchargers this year
- Death Stranding is an open-world action game
- CyberPowerPC's new Ryzen PCs: from $983 up to $2399
- AMD's cheaper Ryzen 5/Ryzen 3 CPUs should launch in Q2
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4GHz, 1800X performance for $329
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- Cannot access the BIOS on a laptop
- Extreme6 Z97 and Samsung M.2 EVO 960 setup
- BIOSTAR RACING B250GT5 Unboxing and User Experience
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications