It's always great to implement some new benchmarks into our video card line-up. The simple fact is that when it comes to purchasing a computer, the video card is one of the most looked at items. By offering more benchmarks that make use of the latest technology, we're able to give you an even greater idea of how the card will perform in current and future releases using technology like DX11 and PhysX where applicable.
The HD 5870 faired very well with a lot of the new games we're using today. We see the model perform strong under the new Batman Arkham Asylum game at all resolutions while also performing well in other games like the new DX11 based BattleForge.
It's also great to see new cooling options on a high-end model and even better when the said cooling offers us better numbers. In this case we manage to get a drop in temperature while also receiving a drop in noise levels. When it comes to comparing a new cooler to its stock one, there's nothing more you can ask for.
If that wasn't enough for you already, you'll find yourself excited by the fact that Sapphire have not only given us a small bump in MHz which gives us a consistent increase in performance, but also a couple of full version games including the future DirectX 11 title, Dirt 2.
Really, the only thing we can fault about the whole card is that it would've been nice to see a bigger bump in the core and memory clock, especially since the cooler that Sapphire are using manages to do a good job of keeping core temperatures down.
With that said, we completely understand why the MHz hasn't been bumped even higher. The cream of the crop for Sapphire when it comes to performance models is the ATOMIC version and we don't doubt they're saving the big clocks for that model. You also have the ability to overclock the card yourself, be it with the internal Overdrive feature or using 3rd party software.
With all that said and done, it's very hard to fault the HD 5870 Vapor-X OC from Sapphire. The simple fact is we've got better cooling numbers, less noise and more performance than the stock model. Sapphire has also helped add a second game to the package to make it stand out that little bit more.
If you're looking for a HD 5870 that stands out a bit more than the normal one, the Vapor-X version is one model worth looking at. If you want even more out of the box performance and you don't mind waiting a little longer, the inevitable ATOMIC version of the card might be what you're after.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- First look at how Musk's underground tunnels might work
- Overwatch is now home to over 30 million gamers
- Nintendo sold 2.3 million NES Mini consoles
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- Capcom's 2016 financials outline company's future
- G1 Sniper 2 rev 1.0 wont boot with GtX 1070
- H97M Pro4 - Machine comes out of sleep mode when deactivated but monitor does not
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives