Working with the Antec Mini skeleton-90 did leave a huge smile on my face. From the minute I got it out of the box, I actually said out loud, "aww it's so cute". That being out in the open, I should explain. I had already looked at the full sized version and when I pulled the mini out of the box, I was surprised at the almost "spot on" similarity between the two; the Mini struck me as almost a model of the original. Overall I liked the time I played around with my Mini Skeleton-90, but there are a couple of downsides.
I would have liked a bit more room for a better CPU cooler. I don't know about you, but I overclock almost everything I own. My ZOTAC does a fine job of pushing the FSB and with all of the extra cooling the chassis supplies, it seems sort of wasted. Now, running some DOS based tests and using my infrared temperature gun, I was able to get a few baseline measurements. With the TriCool running I was able to keep my CPU six degrees cooler when set to high, so all is not lost. The small 90 watt PSU also makes selections of what processor to choose very limited for 775, but an Atom system is ideal.
All things considered, I am left with an overwhelming feeling of novelty. While it is an attractive piece of hardware, the sheer size of things makes it really impractical, unless you are building the system around this chassis from the start. My thoughts are this; if you are building a mITX system, it's usually HTPC or browsing / e-mail builds. This puts them, most likely, in higher traffic areas. The open air design is great to look at, but one mistake of a spilled drink, or mischievous children's hands, I think the novelty will quickly wear off. The asking price for the Antec Mini Skeleton-90 is currently $109.99 at Newegg, plus shipping. Once I got passed the cute factor, the pricing for this product is a tad high for my wallet.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Antec Mini skeleton-90 Open Air Case]
- Page 5 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 6 [The Build and Finished Product]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 4K 120Hz is on its way to VR headsets with Onix VR
- PlayStation VR launches in Japan: over 51K units sold
- 'Deadpool' director Tim Miller walks from sequel
- Do you have questions for Elon Musk? Now is time to ask
- Huge cyber attack involved 10s of millions IP addresses
- Independence Day Resurgence 4K Blu-ray Review
- Battlefield 1 Multiplayer Gameplay Thoughts
- GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 Resume fail after suspend with Linux
- h61m-dgs gigabyte not see DDR_A1
- BSI3H-6100 long time to post
- Eurocom launches the ultrathin 15.6' Sky M5 R2 VR Ready gaming laptop with Intel Core i7 6700HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB GDDR5), 4G LTE support, 64 GB DDR4 memory, 6 TB SSD storage
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now
- ENERMAX launches Revolution Duo power supply with DUOFlowTM design for active ventilation
- Razer unveils new Razer Blade Pro gaming notebook