Client mode turns the TEW-654TR into a basic 802.11n Wireless adapter with one small caveat. The TEW-654TR is an 802.11n wireless router and adapter, yet as we mentioned above the Ethernet port is only 10/100. This means that you will never be able to actually get the full 150Mbps that the wireless adapter can offer. You end up having a bottle neck at the Ethernet port.
To get this setup you might need to take an extra step, the TEW-654TR (as mentioned) has a default IP of 192.168.10.1. The manual says that you can access it using the URL http://client-654TR but during our testing we found this was hit and miss. We would recommend using the IP address at all times. Before you can access it you will need to set your LAN adapter to match this IP range. Once you do this you will be able to get into the Client Mode setup screens.
The two most important screens here are the Wireless client screen and the LAN screen. In the wireless client screen you can choose the AP you want to connect to, while in the LAN screen you setup the type of IP configuration that is used on that network. Most of the time Dynamic (DHCP) is going to be the right choice, but you can setup a static if needed.
*Note: once you attach to a wireless network the IP address of the TEW-654TR will change, you will need to use this new IP to connect to the device, so you will want to go back into the setup and write it down for the next time you want to use it. You will also need to change your LAN adapter back to dynamic to connect properly.
Access Point Mode
The final mode is one of the simplest. In the access point mode you can use the TEW-654TR to add wireless to any wired network. Again, the same issue that plagues the Client Mode is present in the AP mode. This is the 10/100 LAN port; meaning that you will not be able to get more than 100Mbps through the TEW-654TR in AP mode. Here unlike the Client mode (but like the router mode) you can connect to your TEW-654TR by using the URL http://tew-654tr.
Once in, you can setup wireless security, WLAN access control and a few other features to make your TEW-654TR a little more secure.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Death Stranding analysis: breaking down the bizarre
- Marvel vs Capcom 3: Ultimate coming to PS4 later today
- The Last of Us 2 announced
- Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite announced, coming in 2017
- New Uncharted: The Lost Legacy announced
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset