Client mode turns the TEW-654TR into a basic 802.11n Wireless adapter with one small caveat. The TEW-654TR is an 802.11n wireless router and adapter, yet as we mentioned above the Ethernet port is only 10/100. This means that you will never be able to actually get the full 150Mbps that the wireless adapter can offer. You end up having a bottle neck at the Ethernet port.
To get this setup you might need to take an extra step, the TEW-654TR (as mentioned) has a default IP of 192.168.10.1. The manual says that you can access it using the URL http://client-654TR but during our testing we found this was hit and miss. We would recommend using the IP address at all times. Before you can access it you will need to set your LAN adapter to match this IP range. Once you do this you will be able to get into the Client Mode setup screens.
The two most important screens here are the Wireless client screen and the LAN screen. In the wireless client screen you can choose the AP you want to connect to, while in the LAN screen you setup the type of IP configuration that is used on that network. Most of the time Dynamic (DHCP) is going to be the right choice, but you can setup a static if needed.
*Note: once you attach to a wireless network the IP address of the TEW-654TR will change, you will need to use this new IP to connect to the device, so you will want to go back into the setup and write it down for the next time you want to use it. You will also need to change your LAN adapter back to dynamic to connect properly.
Access Point Mode
The final mode is one of the simplest. In the access point mode you can use the TEW-654TR to add wireless to any wired network. Again, the same issue that plagues the Client Mode is present in the AP mode. This is the 10/100 LAN port; meaning that you will not be able to get more than 100Mbps through the TEW-654TR in AP mode. Here unlike the Client mode (but like the router mode) you can connect to your TEW-654TR by using the URL http://tew-654tr.
Once in, you can setup wireless security, WLAN access control and a few other features to make your TEW-654TR a little more secure.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- A view from space: How Tesla Gigafactory grew in a year
- 2K Games lays out five-year plan, wants one AAA a year
- ASUS hints dual camera in 1st official ZenFone 4 teaser
- Samsung reportedly decides on the Galaxy S9 screen size
- ASUS X399 ROG Zenith Extreme: ThreadRipper BEAST BOARD
- How to make one network using 2 routers
- Lian-Li DK02 Watercooling and dimensions
- ASUS X200 CA 1.0 should camera appear in system in control panel?
- How to upgrade the BIOS to GA-UD23-B3?
- Baby Driver Movie Review
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4