Today we have shown you how the N5500 performs against Thecus' previous generation N5200 Pro. The Intel Core2Duo processor coupled with 1GB of memory really makes for a strong storage solution for consumers, prosumers and small business users. The transfer performance we saw today is close to what we have seen in some of the more expensive seven and eight drive NAS servers that cost at least a grand more.
In today's economy everyone is looking to stretch each dollar as far as they can. This works out well for Thecus in more ways than one. For those looking to really get the most bang for the buck the N5200 Pro is still available at a laughable 569.99 USD. Coming in second on the price scale is the N5500 that we tested here today at 849.99, a full 50 USD cheaper than QNAP's TS-509.
The new AJAX user interface is an upgrade to the previous software but it still needs a little work to smooth the actions. Right now it feels like an internet connection with higher than normal latency. This is something that I am confident Thecus will get sorted in future firmware upgrades.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Thecus N5500]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- iPhone 7 explodes, smoke coming out caught on video
- Mass Effect: Andromeda on PC is Origin exclusive
- Nintendo sues company for real life Mario Kart racing
- Horizon Zero Dawn launch trailer, first patches detailed
- Mass Effect Andromeda PC requirements released
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- Cannot access the BIOS on a laptop
- Extreme6 Z97 and Samsung M.2 EVO 960 setup
- BIOSTAR RACING B250GT5 Unboxing and User Experience
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications