Today we have shown you how the N5500 performs against Thecus' previous generation N5200 Pro. The Intel Core2Duo processor coupled with 1GB of memory really makes for a strong storage solution for consumers, prosumers and small business users. The transfer performance we saw today is close to what we have seen in some of the more expensive seven and eight drive NAS servers that cost at least a grand more.
In today's economy everyone is looking to stretch each dollar as far as they can. This works out well for Thecus in more ways than one. For those looking to really get the most bang for the buck the N5200 Pro is still available at a laughable 569.99 USD. Coming in second on the price scale is the N5500 that we tested here today at 849.99, a full 50 USD cheaper than QNAP's TS-509.
The new AJAX user interface is an upgrade to the previous software but it still needs a little work to smooth the actions. Right now it feels like an internet connection with higher than normal latency. This is something that I am confident Thecus will get sorted in future firmware upgrades.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Thecus N5500]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Project Scorpio 4K vs 1080p side by side comparison
- PSN and Xbox LIVE hacker imprisoned for two years
- GALAX GTX 1080 Ti HOF, 3 x 8-pin PCIe power & LCD panel
- NVIDIA's recent Gamer Connect event in India: success
- More 'Star Trek' movies not guaranteed, warns star
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Cursor disappearing randomly
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G Review
- Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 K6 USB 3.1/TB Issues
- Nokia partners with Lucasfilm to deliver an immersive behind-the-scenes VR experience of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- New LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 bridges the port gap and delivers massive capacity to streamline creative workflows
- ENERMAX launches D.F. STORM, the 3500RPM fan featuring self-cleaning design
- Tenda unveils new USB 3.0 AC1300 wireless network adapter
- SteelSeries brings gamers the world's first dual-surface RGB illuminated mousepad - introducing the QcK Prism