When you are putting together a high-end system your choice of memory is usually second or third on your list of parts. This is even more so true now that both sides of the house have memory controllers built directly into the CPU. After all, without good, stable and fast memory your expensive CPU can become an annoyance rather than a joy.
So, what do we look for these days from our RAM? Well, if you were looking for a Socket 775 CPU you wanted the fastest RAM you could find. This helped to overcome the issue of having the memory controller in the NorthBridge.
If you are looking for an AMD CPU you want the best balance of speed and latency. This is now also true of the Nehalem, as the internal memory controller is as fast as the CPU bus, but can be seriously affected by latency.
So we see that looking for the right memory is an interesting process, especially with the advent of dual channel, triple channel, Intel's XMP Profiles and of course manufacturers "certifying" everything for this or that platform.
Today we take a look at Corsair's Dominator GT for Lynnfield.This is a PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600) 8GB kit (4x 2GB) that offers some stylish looks and some good performance. The one thing that it has over many other kits in the same line is lower stock latency. This means that the SPD (Serial Presence Device) will tell the motherboard and memory controller that it is CL8 from the moment you drop it in.
Let's take a look and see if this kit can give you a performance edge at stock speeds and also what it is capable of when we push it a little.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Oculus Rift-ready gaming PC pre-orders will open on February 16
- Windows 10 changelog site launched
- Tales of Symphonia mod fixes stuttering, resolution issues
- ViewSonic's 4K FreeSync capable gaming monitor now available
- FCC filing confirms 3600mAh battery for Galaxy S7 Edge
- Cougar 450M Ambidextrous Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 - Only Posts with one memory stick
- TP-LINK Archer C2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Dual-Band Router Review
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance