When you are putting together a high-end system your choice of memory is usually second or third on your list of parts. This is even more so true now that both sides of the house have memory controllers built directly into the CPU. After all, without good, stable and fast memory your expensive CPU can become an annoyance rather than a joy.
So, what do we look for these days from our RAM? Well, if you were looking for a Socket 775 CPU you wanted the fastest RAM you could find. This helped to overcome the issue of having the memory controller in the NorthBridge.
If you are looking for an AMD CPU you want the best balance of speed and latency. This is now also true of the Nehalem, as the internal memory controller is as fast as the CPU bus, but can be seriously affected by latency.
So we see that looking for the right memory is an interesting process, especially with the advent of dual channel, triple channel, Intel's XMP Profiles and of course manufacturers "certifying" everything for this or that platform.
Today we take a look at Corsair's Dominator GT for Lynnfield.This is a PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600) 8GB kit (4x 2GB) that offers some stylish looks and some good performance. The one thing that it has over many other kits in the same line is lower stock latency. This means that the SPD (Serial Presence Device) will tell the motherboard and memory controller that it is CL8 from the moment you drop it in.
Let's take a look and see if this kit can give you a performance edge at stock speeds and also what it is capable of when we push it a little.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Project CARS 2 latest screenshots look amazing
- BlackBerry announces KEYone, with Pixel's camera sensor
- Genesis Alpha One is the 80s sci-fi game I always wanted
- iPhone 7 explodes, smoke coming out caught on video
- Mass Effect: Andromeda on PC is Origin exclusive
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- Cannot access the BIOS on a laptop
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications