Looking at the card itself, you can see the cooler which we saw on the front of the box. What's surprising, though, is the size. Looking at it on the front of the box without the card in the picture, you're not sure how big it'll be. Once you have it in front of you with the card attached you notice the size. Sporting a 100mm fan with heat pipes around it, it's a pretty large cooler.
On the topic of heat pipes, this card uses MSIs new SuperPipe. These are thicker 8mm pipes which MSI say are 90% more effective when compared to standard heat pipes. We can see a bit of the PCB to the right, but really, thanks to the huge cooler there isn't a whole lot more to look at.
Taking a quick spin around the card, we've got two 6-Pin PCI Express power connectors which is a bit different to the 8 + 6 Pin setup we normally see. Staying across the top of the card but closer to the front, we've got two Crossfire connectors. If you want to use them, though, you're out of luck no thanks to the massive cooler that MSI has implemented.
Having a look at the front of the card, we can see MSI are using the same formula as HIS and a few other HD 4890s we've seen lately. We've got a Dual-Link DVI connector, standard VGA port along with a native HDMI port. Above these ports we've got some vents with the MSI logo also being seen.
As we've already mentioned, there are three versions of the HD 4890 Cyclone. While we don't have the SOC model, we do have the standard OC one. We can see below that the core has been moved from the default 850MHz to 880MHz.
As for the 1GB of GDDR5, there hasn't been any changes with it remaining at 975MHz or 2900MHz QDR. Hopefully the small bump in core gives us a boost in performance at the right spots.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [Video Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2 - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Radeon GPU tech will power Intel's next-gen iGPUs
- Titanfall 2 infographic reveal interesting information
- Apple's new MacBook Pro has crappy battery life
- Ben Affleck's solo Batman movie will arrive in 2018
- Battlefield 1's new update includes SLI fixes, and more
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- [Bios problem, manual Vcore] Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3-EU
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand