It's clear that companies are going to offer the HD 4890 for months to come, even though the HD 5800 series are just around the corner. Really, at the end of it all if the chips are available you're better off selling them instead of having them just sit there. But due to the model being out for so long, no one wants to see a flurry of reference cooled and clocked models come to the market.
Instead companies like MSI, HIS and Sapphire have decided to really mix it up by offering new cooling solutions and new overclocks. From the cooling perspective the Cyclone cooler that MSI use doesn't offer any better performance than some of the other new cooling options. If anything, the size of it is more of a pain due to the fact it kills your ability to use CrossFire.
What the cooler does offer, though, is looks. Honestly, the cooler looks so mean and until you have it in front of you on the card you really don't realize the coolness of it. The Military Class specification for the card also seems to help keep power draw down in load situations.
We've got a decent cooler, some good performance thanks to the overclock and the Military Class marketing seems to actually be useful by dropping down the overall power load of the card. While the bundle might be a bit lacking, if you're after a HD 4890 that performs well and looks good, the MSI offering is a good choice. If you want a bit more power it might be worth looking at the SOC offering that offers even higher clock speeds.
For your reference, the MSI Radeon HD 4890 Cyclone OC 1GB graphics card
can currently be purchased over at Newegg for $184.99 after a $15.00 mail-in rebate.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [Video Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2 - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sony shipped about 60 million PS4s
- Next-gen PS4 coming in 2018, analyst predicts
- Acer's new laptop rocks unreleased NVIDIA graphics card
- AMD Radeon RX Vega loses to GTX 1080 at 1080p
- Halo 6's 'compelling' story will focus on Master Chief
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives