Overclocking on the Xabre reference card was surprisingly impressive. Being clocked at a default speed of 250MHz core and 250MHz memory clock we managed to run a maximum speed of 308MHz core and 295MHz (590MHz DDR) memory clock through the latest version of PowerStrip. We found this rather surprising since this is a reference card which we don't usually see good overclocking results from.
In the past we have seen that SiS 3D chipsets have been something that should have been placed in a wood heater rather than a PC, to be perfectly honest. The new strategy from the R&D team at SiS has turned a few heads, not only with the Xabre but with their new AMD and P4 chipset offerings...That's what first made me think "Have they done it?"...The answer is Yes.
Hardware wise the Xabre exceeds the limits normally set for a value based 3D accelerator, and while being able to keep within relatively close proximity of the Geforce MX460 (its main competitor, SiS tells us), with these early drivers competing against nVidia's mature drivers, is quite impressive.
SiS needs to now divert a bit more effort into researching their drivers, as they still need some tweaking and patches for games to allow the pixel shader technology to be fully optimized, as well as ironing the bugs out that we saw and others have seen.
Summing it up SiS have done an excellent job to produce a very well rounded video card that could be the next biggest vale card that the Geforce 2 MX originally was, only time will tell
Hardware T&L Engine
No hardware vertex shader
Driver issues causing crashes in some benchmarks
Rating - 8.5/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Overwatch is now home to over 30 million gamers
- Nintendo sold 2.3 million NES Mini consoles
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- Capcom's 2016 financials outline company's future
- Sony shipped about 60 million PS4s
- H97M Pro4 - Machine comes out of sleep mode when deactivated but monitor does not
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives