After going through all the tests and trials of the MSI 645E Max2, I must say that I was more than impressed. SiS driven products in the past have always been underpowered and overheated monsters that you would rather see get hit by a freight train. The SiS 645DX has proven to be a very worthy Pentium 4 contender for the value/mainstream sectors.
MSI's adaptation of the 645DX chipset was beyond our expectations. With all the extra goodies that MSI is known for, the board stands out amongst the competitors. New PCB colorings make this board a definite eye candy for people with custom window cases and hardcore modders.
Practically, the board is very fast and completely stable. We did note one issue with Maxtor ATA-100 IDE hard drives. If you ran the system in UDMA mode in BIOS, the board would refuse to work with the Maxtor unit. All other drives worked flawlessly on the system. The new SiS 962 is set to improve on the ATA system and even incorporate Serial ATA, so this may not be a very large issue in the SiS R&D Department.
New 961B Southbridge
USB 2.0 Controller
Stability Issues with Maxtor Hard Drives
RAID controller does not support ATA mode (RAID only, No normal HDD mode)
Rating - 9/10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 3 [Features]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System and Sandra]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - MadOnion]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 9 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Qualcomm's next-gen Snapdragon 845 teased
- Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 lets you land on the moon
- Intel Core i9-7960X benchmarks: 16C/32T 'Skylake-X' CPU
- Intel's new Core i7-8700K CPU detailed, 6C/12T @ 4.3GHz?
- GTA parent company's indie segment is making AAA games
- How to make one network using 2 routers
- Lian-Li DK02 Watercooling and dimensions
- ASUS X200 CA 1.0 should camera appear in system in control panel?
- How to upgrade the BIOS to GA-UD23-B3?
- Baby Driver Movie Review
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4