After going through all the tests and trials of the MSI 645E Max2, I must say that I was more than impressed. SiS driven products in the past have always been underpowered and overheated monsters that you would rather see get hit by a freight train. The SiS 645DX has proven to be a very worthy Pentium 4 contender for the value/mainstream sectors.
MSI's adaptation of the 645DX chipset was beyond our expectations. With all the extra goodies that MSI is known for, the board stands out amongst the competitors. New PCB colorings make this board a definite eye candy for people with custom window cases and hardcore modders.
Practically, the board is very fast and completely stable. We did note one issue with Maxtor ATA-100 IDE hard drives. If you ran the system in UDMA mode in BIOS, the board would refuse to work with the Maxtor unit. All other drives worked flawlessly on the system. The new SiS 962 is set to improve on the ATA system and even incorporate Serial ATA, so this may not be a very large issue in the SiS R&D Department.
New 961B Southbridge
USB 2.0 Controller
Stability Issues with Maxtor Hard Drives
RAID controller does not support ATA mode (RAID only, No normal HDD mode)
Rating - 9/10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 3 [Features]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System and Sandra]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - MadOnion]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 9 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 'Terminator' to wrap with creator James Cameron's return
- PC gaming hardware market hits $30 billion
- Nintendo Switch battery life analysis
- Resident Evil 7 isn't coming to Nintendo Switch
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Hyrule is bigger than Skyrim
- Gigabyte (Business) Partner Questions
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- hp printer technical support
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni