After going through all the tests and trials of the MSI 645E Max2, I must say that I was more than impressed. SiS driven products in the past have always been underpowered and overheated monsters that you would rather see get hit by a freight train. The SiS 645DX has proven to be a very worthy Pentium 4 contender for the value/mainstream sectors.
MSI's adaptation of the 645DX chipset was beyond our expectations. With all the extra goodies that MSI is known for, the board stands out amongst the competitors. New PCB colorings make this board a definite eye candy for people with custom window cases and hardcore modders.
Practically, the board is very fast and completely stable. We did note one issue with Maxtor ATA-100 IDE hard drives. If you ran the system in UDMA mode in BIOS, the board would refuse to work with the Maxtor unit. All other drives worked flawlessly on the system. The new SiS 962 is set to improve on the ATA system and even incorporate Serial ATA, so this may not be a very large issue in the SiS R&D Department.
New 961B Southbridge
USB 2.0 Controller
Stability Issues with Maxtor Hard Drives
RAID controller does not support ATA mode (RAID only, No normal HDD mode)
Rating - 9/10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 3 [Features]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System and Sandra]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - MadOnion]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 9 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- AMD reduces price on Radeon R9 Fury X, Fury and Nano - Fury X now $589
- Star Trek DS9 Blu-ray campaign warps into view
- Humai wants to transfer your consciousness to an artificial body
- New chip could charge your phone in 10 minutes, Samsung interested
- 2nd-gen MSI ECO series motherboards debut
- Lexar JumpDrive M20i 32GB OTG iOS Flash Drive Review
- Gibabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 Supported RAM (2 x16Gb or 4 x 8GB) ?
- heya! PC-A10 case parts?
- Enermax ETS-T40fit CPU Coolers Review
- Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB Review
- Eurocom offers $500 USD off Black Friday & Cyber Monday deal for EUROCOM Sky X9 Desktop Laptop with Intel Skylake desktop class CPUs and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Desktop GPU and 64 GB DDR4 memory
- MSI @ DREAMHACK WINTER 2015
- ADATA Releases the Lightning Card Reader
- MSI Announces ECO Series Socket LGA1151 Motherboards
- Mionix Announces New-generation SARGAS Mousepad Family