After going through all the tests and trials of the MSI 645E Max2, I must say that I was more than impressed. SiS driven products in the past have always been underpowered and overheated monsters that you would rather see get hit by a freight train. The SiS 645DX has proven to be a very worthy Pentium 4 contender for the value/mainstream sectors.
MSI's adaptation of the 645DX chipset was beyond our expectations. With all the extra goodies that MSI is known for, the board stands out amongst the competitors. New PCB colorings make this board a definite eye candy for people with custom window cases and hardcore modders.
Practically, the board is very fast and completely stable. We did note one issue with Maxtor ATA-100 IDE hard drives. If you ran the system in UDMA mode in BIOS, the board would refuse to work with the Maxtor unit. All other drives worked flawlessly on the system. The new SiS 962 is set to improve on the ATA system and even incorporate Serial ATA, so this may not be a very large issue in the SiS R&D Department.
New 961B Southbridge
USB 2.0 Controller
Stability Issues with Maxtor Hard Drives
RAID controller does not support ATA mode (RAID only, No normal HDD mode)
Rating - 9/10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 3 [Features]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System and Sandra]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - MadOnion]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- MSI 645E Max2 - Page 9 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GAINWARD's GeForce GTX 1080 Phoenix spotted with black/red/gold look
- Learn how to make Android apps with this course bundle
- ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 teased, to be unveiled very soon
- EVGA's GeForce GTX 1080 Superclocked ACX 3.0 spotted, looks awesome
- ZOTAC's new GeForce GTX 1080 AMP! spotted, a new record breaker?
- SanDisk X400 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Asus S300CA screen flickering/stripes
- Asrock MB front HD audio doesn't work (rear works)
- GA-H97-Gaming 3 trying to Raid Two 950pro's via PCIE Apadpter
- GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt not recognized
- Samsung Electronics expands 750 EVO SSD with worldwide availability and increases capacity to 500GB
- Free public gamer event E3 Live to debut in Los Angeles
- Cryorig teases two new cases bound for Computex 2016
- Toshiba launches the OCZ RD400 NVMe SSD series
- Colorful & Bykski announces first water block for GTX 1080 Founders Edition