VIA C3 Up Close and Personal
First off, we get a look at the entire CPU and the top readings. We see the name and speed of the CPU along with some unused resistor spots.
This shot shows us the underside of the VIA C3. We see the batch number, wafer number, stepping codes and the 1.35v CPU core voltage setting, making this CPU the lowest voltage CPU on the market.
The Test Platform board, MSI's MS-6368 PLE133T board
Now we get a look at the board and layout that VIA supplied for the reference testing. This board is manufactured by MSI and is a standard Micro ATX motherboard with 0/3/1/1 (AGP/PCI/Riser/ISA) Layout. One of the most interesting things concerning this board is the use of the ISA slot; indeed, supporting any legacy ISA devices.
Powered by the VIA Apollo PLE133T Northbridge and VT82C686B Southbridge, this board comes with integrated Trident 3D Blade Video onboard that uses system memory for video texture storage. This Shared Memory Architecture design has proven to be a huge letdown in the past. Using a board with external video or a better video core would help the VIA C3's changes, but we are left with what we are given. Using the 686B Southbridge you get ATA-100 IDE support and 4 USB ports, so there is no shortage here. Along with this you also get AC'97 audio; perfect for a PC on a budget.
The MSI sample board also comes with onboard LAN, another excellent for budget PC's. Not only can you have a normal modem, but you can hook this system up to a LAN or Broadband modem too.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung Galaxy S8 officially discounted by up to $300
- Qualcomm's Snapdragon 836 will debut with the Pixel 2
- Samsung to produce chips for the iPhone 9, LG batteries
- Facebook is working on a modular smartphone
- Samsung's 1st dual camera phone has an Always On Display
- Bloody AL90 Blazing Laser Gaming Mouse Review
- Cryptocurrency mining deflates, used GPUs hit eBay
- G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3600 32GB Memory Kit Review
- ASRock X299 Taichi Motherboard Review
- Transcend ESD220C 120GB Portable SSD Review
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4