With the package done it's time to check out the card and straight away we can see that there isn't really any difference as far as overall looks go when comparing it to other HD 4890 cards we've looked at which use the reference design.
With that said, though, ASUS has of course added their own sticker to the card to let it stand out from other HD 4890 offerings. We can see the ASUS logo on the sticker and in the center of the fan; we also see a picture of the knight that we saw on the front of the box.
As we've suggested, the card follows the reference design, so looking around we don't see anything too out of the ordinary. Towards the rear of the card we have two 6-pin PCI-E power connectors, while across the top of the card and closer to the front we have our two CrossFire connectors which give us the ability to run up to three cards.
Finally we finish up in the I/O department. Here we have two Dual-Link DVI connectors with a S-Video port sitting in the middle. Above these we have a bunch of vents, which with the cooler design this helps push the hot air out the back of your case.
Out of the box the ASUS HD 4890 Voltage Tweak actually carries with it just reference clocks. This puts the core at 850MHz and the 1GB of GDDR5 memory at 975MHz or 3900MHz QDR. With the Voltage Tweak software installed we took the time to do a bit of overclocking to see what we could achieve.
We moved the core voltage to 1.437v which is up from the stock 1.312v; we then cranked the core up to the highest possible setting which was 1000MHz and then proceeded to spend a bit of time working on the memory. We ended up at 1111MHz or 4444MHz QDR which is a nice jump on the default clocks.
How this translates to performance, we don't know yet. So, let's jump forward to the next page, have a look at our test system and get stuck into the benchmarks to see not only how much extra performance these new settings give us, but what the extra voltage does for the system wattage and cards temperature.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 14 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Introducing Li-Fi, the Wi-Fi killer that boasts 224Gbps
- NVIDIA rumored to be preparing the GeForce GTX 960 Ti
- AMD reduces price on Radeon R9 Fury X, Fury and Nano - Fury X now $589
- Star Trek DS9 Blu-ray campaign warps into view
- Humai wants to transfer your consciousness to an artificial body
- Lexar JumpDrive M20i 32GB OTG iOS Flash Drive Review
- Gibabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 Supported RAM (2 x16Gb or 4 x 8GB) ?
- heya! PC-A10 case parts?
- Enermax ETS-T40fit CPU Coolers Review
- Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB Review
- Eurocom offers $500 USD off Black Friday & Cyber Monday deal for EUROCOM Sky X9 Desktop Laptop with Intel Skylake desktop class CPUs and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Desktop GPU and 64 GB DDR4 memory
- MSI @ DREAMHACK WINTER 2015
- ADATA Releases the Lightning Card Reader
- MSI Announces ECO Series Socket LGA1151 Motherboards
- Mionix Announces New-generation SARGAS Mousepad Family