The iPhone 3GS is identical to the iPhone 3G in terms of size and appearance. It weighs a little more (one ounce), but that is nothing major. If you put the two phones side by side you would not be able to tell them apart while in sleep mode. However, once you wake the phones up you do begin to see the difference. The new iPhone 3GS has a screen that looks crisper; the images seem sharper and the display a little more vivid. This is mostly due to the increased graphics power brought on by the PowerVR SGX Graphics chip, which has support for OpenGL ES 2.0.
The PowerVR SGX is not the only new thing under the hood, though; Apple has thrown in a faster CPU running at 600MHz Vs the old 3G speed of 412MHz, while the memory in the phone has been doubled (256MB vs 128MB).
The additional speed, memory and graphics processing means more complex applications, faster video response and of course better gaming.
On the OS side of the house Apple has made some nice improvements. They have added in voice control, Multi-Media Messaging, tethering, a digital compass, improved video support, improved security, cut, copy and paste, video recording, geo-tagging (for photographs) and of course a landscape keyboard for texting and e-mail to list a few. But these are mostly surface additions; Apple has also fixed about 45 security issues with the iPhone OS that have been an ongoing concern.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- The Witcher 3 receives a new 15GB patch, with a 13-page changelog
- Uber hack in early 2014 allegedly traced back to the CTO of Lyft
- Light's new camera has 16 camera sensors, takes 52-megapixel photos
- HP unveils its new 34-inch curved all-in-one 'Envy' PC
- Netflix increases its $8.99 per month plan to $9.99 per month
- Got a Gaming 9 ACK X99S MSI MB to trade ..
- Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA
- D-Link DCH-S160 mydlink Wi-Fi Smart Home Water Sensor Review
- ga-z170x-UD5 m.2 raid and intel rst drivers will not let me install windows to the raid
- X99 Extreme 4 and Thunderbolt
- EVGA Gives Away Free Cooler Shroud Replacement to its HYBRID Series Owners
- Shuttle Offers Value Priced XPC Nano Small Form Factor PC
- MSI Announces the DS502 7.1 Gaming Headset with Active Noise-Cancelation
- Netgear Introduces Quad-Mode Business-Class Wireless-AC Access Points
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent