I hate to say it but I just can't get past the cost of the Solidata K5. Even as an enterprise product that is designed to outlast the consumer drives by years, I just can't budge on this issue. The dark horse in the room is the Intel X25-E (enterprise SLC variant of the X25-M consumer SSD). In the U.S. the X25-E is available from Newegg for 749 USD, a little over 100 USD more than the K5. Intel has kept a pretty tight grip on their enterprise drives so we have not been given the opportunity to test the X25-E, but judging from the numbers that are floating around it runs a little faster than the M Series drives. The Solidata K5 performs as well as the Intel X25-M in most tests, but is considerably slower in the Database tests we performed.
After testing the Solidata K5 I was left feeling a little underwhelmed by the performance. In the past we have seen the SLC drives produce numbers that justify their high cost in relation to the MLC drives that were introduced at the same time. The K5 did outperform the MLC drives with the same controller in all of the tests, but not by the same margin as the previous showings. That said, the K5 is very fast and we are looking forward to testing the Solidata K6 MLC Indilinx drive.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The Walking Dead co-creator suing AMC for $280 million
- Samsung talks about building a 10K mobile display for VR
- Gears of War 4 requires a huge 80GB HDD space on the PC
- Battlefield 1 single player trailer teases Frostbite
- NVIDIA to reveal next-gen Volta architecture at GTC 2017
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS HDD Review
- Fitbit Charge 2 Fitness Band Review
- Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SATA III SSD Review
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now