Time has been kind to the GTX 285 with the model continuing to still push out some serious power in our games. The biggest thing to remember, though, is unless you're running 2560 x 1600 the card does quickly become a waste of money, which can do all kinds of things when it comes to value for money. If you're running a 22" monitor that only supports 1680 x 1050 there is absolutely no value in the card because you could get something cheaper that will perform better.
On the other side of the spectrum, if you're running a monster 30" monitor with a native resolution of 2560 x 1600 you're not going to get a better card. For the most part it's really impossible to contemplate adding a second card to get even more performance. With that said, though, there's always room for improvement in games when it comes to detail. We can move from 2560 with settings at very high to the same settings with AA and AF cranked up.
The MSI version, for the most part, isn't really a surprise. It's stock in all departments from the cooler to the clock. We also see that MSI hasn't done a whole lot with the package which might be disappointing to some people who spend excess of $500 U.S. - The lack of bundle and stock clocks do keep price a little lower compared to models that pack a game you might not even play and you still have the ability to overclock the card yourself.
All in all we've got a good GTX 295 because it sticks to the working formula that NVIDIA put out. While it might have been nice to see the bundle a bit bigger, we do have everything we need in the cable department and as mentioned, the lack of any games does keep the price down which is commonly appreciated more.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2 - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.