Now we get to the part of the review that gives you an idea of how well the U100 performs for different tasks. Typically, at this point I run an iTunes encoding test, but for some odd reason iTunes refused to convert my test MP3s to AAC, not the fault of the U100 but some sort of software conflict I was unable to resolve.
It's also important to note that many of the benchmarks we would run on full notebooks or desktops simply won't run on a netbook. We will be running PCMark05, a video encoding test and testing the battery life in real world usage.
Since the U100 runs Windows XP, I will be using PCMark05 rather than PCMark Vantage which I use on Vista notebooks. Check out the image below for the PCMark05 test results.
Version and / or Patch Used: 9
Developer Homepage: http://www.microsoft.com
Video encoding is a very common task that users perform with their computers. Taking a large file and making it able to playback on small devices like an iPod is a task many users will expect their computer to perform. In this test, I am using the free Windows Media Encoder and the Microsoft Wonder of Flight test video. The nearly 19 minutes that the U100 took is sloth-like compared to full notebooks, but what we expect for a netbook.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability, and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [The MSI Wind U100]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PCMark05 and Video Encoding]
- Page 6 [MSI Wind U100 Hands On]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Reports claim Apple looks to OLED screens for 2018 phone release
- Google's Nest Cam never deactivates, claims researchers
- Take an Extra 15% Off All VPNs at TweakTown Deals
- Aussie Police crack down on phone use while driving
- Viral vandalism video sees young woman 'completely humiliated'
- Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB Review
- North Bridge Frequency Locked at 4300 on Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 Board
- New SSD Connections and GA-Z87X-UD5H?
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 120L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- SanDisk Extreme 500 240GB USB 3.0 Portable SSD Review
- CYBERTRONPC OFFERS TESSERACT 15 SK NOTEBOOK, NOW WITH 6th GEN INTEL PROCESSOR AND WINDOWS 10
- HERE and the Netherlands evaluating 4G/LTE-based C-ITS road messaging system
- Sony PLAYSTATION 4 (PS4) SALES SURPASS 30.2 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE
- Samsung Starts Mass Producing Industry's First 128-GIGABYTE DDR4 Modules for Enterprise Servers
- LG RAY DELIVERS LARGE HD DISPLAY AND BEST-IN-CLASS CAMERAS FOR 3G MARKETS