Now we get to the part of the review that gives you an idea of how well the U100 performs for different tasks. Typically, at this point I run an iTunes encoding test, but for some odd reason iTunes refused to convert my test MP3s to AAC, not the fault of the U100 but some sort of software conflict I was unable to resolve.
It's also important to note that many of the benchmarks we would run on full notebooks or desktops simply won't run on a netbook. We will be running PCMark05, a video encoding test and testing the battery life in real world usage.
Since the U100 runs Windows XP, I will be using PCMark05 rather than PCMark Vantage which I use on Vista notebooks. Check out the image below for the PCMark05 test results.
Version and / or Patch Used: 9
Developer Homepage: http://www.microsoft.com
Video encoding is a very common task that users perform with their computers. Taking a large file and making it able to playback on small devices like an iPod is a task many users will expect their computer to perform. In this test, I am using the free Windows Media Encoder and the Microsoft Wonder of Flight test video. The nearly 19 minutes that the U100 took is sloth-like compared to full notebooks, but what we expect for a netbook.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability, and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [The MSI Wind U100]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PCMark05 and Video Encoding]
- Page 6 [MSI Wind U100 Hands On]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New Note8 leak shows awkwardly placed fingerprint sensor
- Samsung Galaxy S8 officially discounted by up to $300
- Qualcomm's Snapdragon 836 will debut with the Pixel 2
- Samsung to produce chips for the iPhone 9, LG batteries
- Facebook is working on a modular smartphone
- Bloody AL90 Blazing Laser Gaming Mouse Review
- Cryptocurrency mining deflates, used GPUs hit eBay
- G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3600 32GB Memory Kit Review
- ASRock X299 Taichi Motherboard Review
- Transcend ESD220C 120GB Portable SSD Review
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4