Now we get to the part of the review that gives you an idea of how well the U100 performs for different tasks. Typically, at this point I run an iTunes encoding test, but for some odd reason iTunes refused to convert my test MP3s to AAC, not the fault of the U100 but some sort of software conflict I was unable to resolve.
It's also important to note that many of the benchmarks we would run on full notebooks or desktops simply won't run on a netbook. We will be running PCMark05, a video encoding test and testing the battery life in real world usage.
Since the U100 runs Windows XP, I will be using PCMark05 rather than PCMark Vantage which I use on Vista notebooks. Check out the image below for the PCMark05 test results.
Version and / or Patch Used: 9
Developer Homepage: http://www.microsoft.com
Video encoding is a very common task that users perform with their computers. Taking a large file and making it able to playback on small devices like an iPod is a task many users will expect their computer to perform. In this test, I am using the free Windows Media Encoder and the Microsoft Wonder of Flight test video. The nearly 19 minutes that the U100 took is sloth-like compared to full notebooks, but what we expect for a netbook.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability, and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [The MSI Wind U100]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PCMark05 and Video Encoding]
- Page 6 [MSI Wind U100 Hands On]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- If you own an HTC Vive, you have to play Pool Nation VR
- Nintendo NX might use both cartridges and discs
- This emotional AMD commercial invites you to join the Radeon Rebellion
- Oculus walks back restrictive DRM, pledges to not use hardware checks
- No Man's Sky is 'even bigger than you can imagine,' says dev
- Mulching is every time a good idea of tomato patio water storage ; bu
- as typically
- Bray assumed the lyrics we've been looking to check on ever since Jul
- Skylake Overclocking i7 6700k help please
- Mazda have eschewed amalgam but also cigarette lighter in powertrains
- ADATA launches the Premier SP550 M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- Mangstor's NX-Series storage arrays accelerate HPC throughput with new burst buffer capabilities
- Swiftech unveils new Komodo Waterblocks for NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 and GTX1070 flagship video cards
- ADATA releases the HD700 and HV620S external hard drives
- BIOSTAR teams up with Apacer and Thermaltake to showcase high-end gaming machines