Looking at the board itself, we can see that Foxconn has decided to go with a pretty familiar layout. First off, the 24-pin ATX power connector is placed on the right hand edge of the board, right behind the three DDR3 memory slots. The 4/8 pin power connector is located behind the PS2/USB tower combo port.
The board is limited to a maximum of 6GB memory using 3x2GB memory modules. Foxconn has gone for compatibility rather than capacity on this board, which is especially good when overclocking as it's easier to overclock three modules rather than six.
Moving down the right hand side of the board we find the storage expansion possibilities. Using the ICH10R Southbridge the board comes equipped with six SATA ports which are right below the memory slots, but these may potentially get in the way of large graphics cards such as the GTX series. The single IDE port is controlled by the Jmicron PCIe SATA/PATA controller chip since the ICH10R does not include any IDE channels. Below the IDE port is a POST 80 code reader, so if your board refuses to boot at least you will have in some alien language a reason why.
Now it's time to see just what kind of cooling solutions will fit to this board. Foxconn has done extremely well at keeping things away from the CPU area. In fact, it will allow for some of the largest LGA1366 coolers. The CPU gets its power from a solid state 6 phase voltage regulation. A heatpipe assembly is used to keep the Mosfets, X58 Northbridge and ICH10R Southbridge happy.
Moving to the rear I/O ports we see that Foxconn has done away with one of the PS/2 ports, so you can either have a keyboard or mouse on the PS/2 port, but not both if you still have two PS/2 devices. Apart from that, all is pretty standard; the eSATA ports on the rear are controlled by the same Jmicron chip that gives the board its IDE port. The audio system is a simple HD Audio system using the ICH10R's Azalia audio standard.
Lastly we have the expansion slots. First off, being based on X58 this board is capable of twin x16 slots and this is how Foxconn has gone; two PCI x16 slots coloured red allow for SLI or Crossfire setups. A universal x4 slot is placed between the two x16 slots along with two PCI legacy slots. A single x1 slot is also available above the first x16 slot.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and Memory Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sisoft Sandra]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - SYSmark 2007 Preview]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 12 [Power Usage and Heat Tests]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Interview with Boba Fett from ANHSE, an animation mastermind
- Michael Fassbender compares Assassin's Creed movie with The Matrix
- The best-paid CEO in the US is Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google
- 1Password updated, features Material Design UI and fingerprint unlock
- Ubisoft says The Division being held back on PC 'simply not true'
- ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 - Only Posts with one memory stick
- TP-LINK Archer C2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Dual-Band Router Review
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance