Looking at the board itself, we can see that Foxconn has decided to go with a pretty familiar layout. First off, the 24-pin ATX power connector is placed on the right hand edge of the board, right behind the three DDR3 memory slots. The 4/8 pin power connector is located behind the PS2/USB tower combo port.
The board is limited to a maximum of 6GB memory using 3x2GB memory modules. Foxconn has gone for compatibility rather than capacity on this board, which is especially good when overclocking as it's easier to overclock three modules rather than six.
Moving down the right hand side of the board we find the storage expansion possibilities. Using the ICH10R Southbridge the board comes equipped with six SATA ports which are right below the memory slots, but these may potentially get in the way of large graphics cards such as the GTX series. The single IDE port is controlled by the Jmicron PCIe SATA/PATA controller chip since the ICH10R does not include any IDE channels. Below the IDE port is a POST 80 code reader, so if your board refuses to boot at least you will have in some alien language a reason why.
Now it's time to see just what kind of cooling solutions will fit to this board. Foxconn has done extremely well at keeping things away from the CPU area. In fact, it will allow for some of the largest LGA1366 coolers. The CPU gets its power from a solid state 6 phase voltage regulation. A heatpipe assembly is used to keep the Mosfets, X58 Northbridge and ICH10R Southbridge happy.
Moving to the rear I/O ports we see that Foxconn has done away with one of the PS/2 ports, so you can either have a keyboard or mouse on the PS/2 port, but not both if you still have two PS/2 devices. Apart from that, all is pretty standard; the eSATA ports on the rear are controlled by the same Jmicron chip that gives the board its IDE port. The audio system is a simple HD Audio system using the ICH10R's Azalia audio standard.
Lastly we have the expansion slots. First off, being based on X58 this board is capable of twin x16 slots and this is how Foxconn has gone; two PCI x16 slots coloured red allow for SLI or Crossfire setups. A universal x4 slot is placed between the two x16 slots along with two PCI legacy slots. A single x1 slot is also available above the first x16 slot.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and Memory Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sisoft Sandra]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - SYSmark 2007 Preview]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 12 [Power Usage and Heat Tests]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Horizon Zero Dawn launch trailer, first patches detailed
- Mass Effect Andromeda PC requirements released
- Obsidian wants to make a Dark Souls-type game
- AMD Ryzen CPUs sold out at select retailers already
- Tesla to double the number of Superchargers this year
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- Cannot access the BIOS on a laptop
- Extreme6 Z97 and Samsung M.2 EVO 960 setup
- BIOSTAR RACING B250GT5 Unboxing and User Experience
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications