Did NVIDIA need to release this card? - Yes and no. They ultimately needed something that sits in the same price range as the HD 4890. Having a look online at the real pricing of these cards, we can see that the HD 4890 does come in cheaper than the GTX 275.
The GTX 275, however, is really consistently faster, so does this mean it would be the better choice? - Well, honestly, not really. If you want to game at 2560 x 1600 the GTX 275 is just able to cut it for the most part, but if you've got a monitor that can handle this resolution then hopefully you have the bank account to accommodate a higher end card like the GTX 285 or GTX 295.
At 1920 x 1200 both cards are pretty playable in most games, so why spend the extra money buying a GTX 275? - The main reason is that you can run your games with slightly more detail.
At the end of the day, the HD 4890 is, for the most part, slightly slower at playable resolutions and slightly cheaper. What we have are two cards that ultimately represent the same value for money. If you can spend a bit more and want a bit more performance which will let you have slightly more detail at 1920 x 1200, then the GTX 275 is a good choice. Slightly less detail, cheaper but still playable at 1920 x 1200; the HD 4890 is the better choice.
What we would have preferred to see is NVIDIA drop the pricing on the GTX 285 to combat the HD 4890 instead of offering another new model. What it all comes down to, though, is we have a nice card here and Gainward has mixed it up a bit with the cooler. Now we need some OC models to see what the card is really capable of. There's no reason why when overclocked it won't be able to take down a stock GTX 285.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2 - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Police called due to altercation between eSports pro and journalist
- Amazon's new Prime Air drones deliver packages in 30 minutes or less
- Star Wars Battlefront weekend PC players doubled by Team Fortress 2
- University of California develops valuable injury training simulation
- VTech hacked and 4.8 million accounts compromised, links to children
- be quiet! Dark Rock TF Top Flow CPU Cooler Review
- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Problems With USB3
- Star Wars Battlefront PlayStation 4 Review
- "Cheap" 4K Rig
- wifi card for gigabyte x99m gaming 5 microatx
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis