EPoX has laid this board out for the true enthusiast. Equipped with a 1/6/1 (AGP/PCI/Riser) layout, this board has all the expansion capabilities you are going to need. Like on many Intel based boards, the CNR slot shows up. This slot is hardly appropriate for a hardcore motherboard, but since the slot is shared rather than dedicated, you get the full expansion range. Another interesting note is the PCB. EPoX are more known for sticking with the traditional green PCB but this has changed with the 4G4A. A dark brown PCB is used and makes the board look much "smarter" in my opinion.
i845G Chipset, Power and Price all are excellent
Powering the show is Intel's latest addition to the Pentium 4 support pool, the i845G. Intel's latest baby adds 533FSB support as well as an integrated graphics controller, much like the old i815E chipsets. An AGP port is available for using external video (much more recommended than onboard video). The chip only supports 4-bank memory, giving you a maximum of two fully functional DIMM slots. While the 4G4A has three DIMM slots, you need to have special care in your DIMM assignments. DIMM slot one takes up banks 0 and 1. DIMM 2 and DIMM 3 both share banks 2 and 3. If you put a Double sided DIMM into DIMM 2, DIMM 3 is unusable.. DIMM 1 is of no consequence, you can use any type (Single sided or double sided). In all, a maximum of 2GB DDR SDRAM is supported.
EPoX has added the ICH4 controller chip to the works. This new chip takes over where the ICH2 left off. Adding the same ATA IDE controller as the ICH2 you will ge no added ATA-133 support. Intel has stated they are not going with ATA-133, but moving towards Serial ATA. ICH4 includes three USB 2.0 controllers with 2 ports per controller (6 total), This makes the ICH4 a super chip, no more need for off board USB 2.0 as its now native. AC'97 Audio standards have been improved to rev 2.2 which allows for 6ch audio.
Of course, it wouldn't be an EPoX board without RAID. EPoX has been adding RAID controllers to their boards for quite some time now, and the 4G4A+ gets the benefit from Highpoint's HPT372 ATA-133 RAID controller. This chip allows RAID and ATA functions, so you have RAID controller and ATA-133 IDE, so ATA-133 HDD's don't go to waste on this board.
Yet another addition to this board is the Realtek RTL8100B Fast Ethernet controller. This chip has been placed onboard instead of Intel's Pro-100VE chip, which lags a bit behind the Realtek chip. Nice to see EPoX adding better components.
The EPoX 4G4A+ is a powerhouse when it comes to overclocking. Basically, every setting under the sun for overclockers is available and allows good to fantastic range settings. Using the Award 6.00PG BIOS, you will find the overclocking options under the "Frequency/Voltage Control" Menu. From here you have all your options.
First off is the FSB/CPU setting. You get to see your FSB speed and CPU speed at that FSB before any changes are affected, very good to check if you are going that little bit too high. Your FSB settings can be set from 100MHz up to 255MHz in 1MHz increments. A must have.
Next you get your DRAM Frequency. Here I found some amazing settings, you can set your DRAM speed to 200MHz, 266MHz and 333MHz. That's right this board has DDR-333 support. Looking through my documents from Intel on the i845G, there is no mention of DDR-333 support. This is a nice hidden surprise.
After the main settings for your system, we get into voltages. First off is the Vcore. You can set the Vcore from 1.1v up to 1.85v in 0.025v increments. Northwood CPU's will go to full 1.85v without any problems on this board. The next voltage is the AGP Voltage. You can set your AGP voltage from 1.5v to 1.9v in 0.1v increments. DRAM voltage is the last on the list. You can set the voltage of the DDR-SDRAM from 2.5v up to 3.2v in 0.1v increments. This will give you super speeds from the memory and allow better overclocking of your DDR SDRAM.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- EPoX 4G4A+ - Page 1 [Introduction]
- EPoX 4G4A+ - Page 2 [Specifications]
- EPoX 4G4A+ - Page 3 [Features]
- EPoX 4G4A+ - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System and Sandra]
- EPoX 4G4A+ - Page 5 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- EPoX 4G4A+ - Page 6 [Benchmarks - MadOnion]
- EPoX 4G4A+ - Page 7 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- EPoX 4G4A+ - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- EPoX 4G4A+ - Page 9 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance