At first glance, this case looks strikingly like the SX1030 that is sitting on the right in the photo above. As a matter of fact, the exterior dimensions are identical. While this doesn't qualify it as the world's largest enclosure, it certainly gives you a lot of room to grow. And I have found that when you fall into the "Enthusiast" category, you tend to find a need for expansion.
Not only are the exterior dimensions the same as the SX1030 case, but the inside is laid out in a very similar manner. You'll be looking at a total drive capacity of 10 devices. This includes four 5.25" bays (all accessible from the front) and six 3.5" bays (two accessible from the front). So this gives you room for a CD-RW, DVD, sound card panel, thermal monitoring unit, floppy drive, ZIP drive and a four drive RAID setup! Granted, we don't all have this kind of workload for our cases (I know that I don't), but it gives you an idea as to how much you can pack into this monster.
Well, after detailing how much stuff we can add to this beast, it's time to see just how we can expect to keep the juice flowing to all these power-hungry devices. The answer is the Antec 430 watt TruePower PSU. Antec has long been making some of the most stable power supplies available, and this unit here is no exception.
This new model of PSU is made to an exacting level of quality that is getting harder to find in today's power supplies. It features dedicated outputs to all of the different source lines, it has not one but two dual ball-bearing fans to keep things running cool, and it uses the Antec Low Noise Technology that helps maintain a quiet system.
Something else that was added to the setup was a braided nylon wrap around the main power cable. With so many modern motherboards putting the main power input so close to the processor socket, this ensures that no stray wires will fall victim to a hungry fan mounted atop the heatsink. And to top this all off, the connectors have gold-plated leads to give you better conductivity. All in all, a very nice power supply to have aboard.
Side and Bottom
Entry into the case is a matter of simplicity. Though this is the same latching mechanism that was present on the older SX1030 model, it still has managed to earn a fond place in my heart.
When most people think of a Tool-Free enclosure, they think of the addition of some thumbscrews to the rear of the side panel. Not so with Antec, though. They believe that if you're going to use a Tool-Free entry, then it should be exactly that. The latch shown above is how you get into the working area of the case. Simply pull forward on the handle and the side panel swings out. And in the event that you have nosey employees who THINK that they know computers, well, just lock up the side latch and you have a secure system. This can also be handy if you head off to a LAN and someone decides to get a little too personal with your pride and joy.
Also included on the Plus1080 are the feet that Antec is known for. Though I don't use them myself, they can come in handy if you're concerned about the stability of such a tall case. Besides, even if you don't point them out, it still manages to keep the case elevated slightly from direct contact with the floor. This has come in handy a time or two at the office after a good summer rain.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Antec Plus1080 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Antec Plus1080 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Antec Plus1080 - Page 3 [Twins?]
- Antec Plus1080 - Page 4 [Drive Bays]
- Antec Plus1080 - Page 5 [Cooling]
- Antec Plus1080 - Page 6 [USB/Firewire]
- Antec Plus1080 - Page 7 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Enter our giant 'BFG' Blu-ray giveaway thanks to Disney!
- Discover the 'Secret Life of Pets' in our Blu-ray promo!
- PlayStation Plus Instant Game December line-up leaked
- Star Wars creator George Lucas 'really liked' Rogue One
- Facebook debuts 'Instant Games' app worldwide
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset