The PAL8942 is mounted differently than most Socket478 heatsink/fan units, in the sense that it does not make use of the conventional mounting mechanism provided with most motherboards. Instead, it is screwed directly into the motherboard using the four mounting holes around the CPU socket. While this is a great method of ensuring that the heatsink is seated correctly and will not fall off, it may become a hassle for some of you because you have to remove your whole motherboard (or motherboard tray) to install/uninstall the unit.
The unit itself has to be manually assembled, however, this is not too difficult and shouldn't take any more than five minutes of your time. Firstly, you have to screw the provided standoffs into the four motherboard holes surrounding the CPU socket. Then you place four small springs into spaces in the heatsink and screw it (the heatsink) down onto the standoffs. After the heatsink is in place, the fan can be installed. All you need to do is place the fan shroud on top of the heatsink and then the fan itself goes on top of that. Then it's just a matter of screwing the fan into place, plugging it into your motherboard and you're ready to go.
This may be difficult to understand in text, however, Alpha supplies a small booklet with the cooler that explains to you, with pictures, exactly how to install the unit.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel's unreleased 18-core Xeon CPU hits eBay for $999
- In case you missed it. ARK: Survival Evolved updated on Xbox One
- Twitch users spent 241 billion minutes watching games in 2015
- Samsung's huge 18.4-inch Galaxy View tablet drops to $449.99
- Google possibly making all-in-one, self-powered VR headset
- OCZ TRION 150 480GB SATA III SSD Review
- Any advice on redeeming Asus Promotions?
- Extreme Problem (not alone)
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Phanteks Announces the Eclipse P400 and P400S Chassis
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Horus GK2000 Gaming Keyboard
- Logitech Announces the G810 Orion Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- ADATA Reveals HD650X and HD710M USB 3.0 External Hard Drives