- The Fan
The fan included with the heatsink is rated at 2800RPM and produces a noise level of 30dB. As mentioned earlier, included with the package is a device called the "Fan Mate 1". The fan mate plugs into the fan's power connector, and then into the motherboard. When the knob on the fan mate is turned down to the lowest level, the fan rotates at 1500RPM. This is called "Silent Mode". When the knob is turned to the maximum level, it runs at 2800RPM and is called "Normal Mode".
I found the fan to be extremely quiet, even when running at "Normal Mode". So much so that I couldn't even hear it over the sound of my hard drive. It is slightly quieter than my stock Intel heatsink/fan unit, however, the difference is barely noticeable.
The unit is fairly easy to install. All you need to do is line it up over the heatsink retention device that should have come with your motherboard and slightly push down until it clips in. A fair bit of force is required but make sure you are gentle because the heatsink is very heavy and I doubt you will be happy if you crush the processor that is underneath.
One of the ways that Zalman compensates for the unit being so heavy is that they have placed a flexible piece of metal in between the top of the heatsink and fan. This pushes the heatsink up towards the fan when pressure is applied to the base. It is hard to explain exactly what this does in text, but the end result makes it much harder for you to crush your processor while installing the heatsink and ensures a firm contact between the heatspreader and heatsink.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance