- The Fan
The fan included with the heatsink is rated at 2800RPM and produces a noise level of 30dB. As mentioned earlier, included with the package is a device called the "Fan Mate 1". The fan mate plugs into the fan's power connector, and then into the motherboard. When the knob on the fan mate is turned down to the lowest level, the fan rotates at 1500RPM. This is called "Silent Mode". When the knob is turned to the maximum level, it runs at 2800RPM and is called "Normal Mode".
I found the fan to be extremely quiet, even when running at "Normal Mode". So much so that I couldn't even hear it over the sound of my hard drive. It is slightly quieter than my stock Intel heatsink/fan unit, however, the difference is barely noticeable.
The unit is fairly easy to install. All you need to do is line it up over the heatsink retention device that should have come with your motherboard and slightly push down until it clips in. A fair bit of force is required but make sure you are gentle because the heatsink is very heavy and I doubt you will be happy if you crush the processor that is underneath.
One of the ways that Zalman compensates for the unit being so heavy is that they have placed a flexible piece of metal in between the top of the heatsink and fan. This pushes the heatsink up towards the fan when pressure is applied to the base. It is hard to explain exactly what this does in text, but the end result makes it much harder for you to crush your processor while installing the heatsink and ensures a firm contact between the heatspreader and heatsink.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Infinite Warfare is Call of Duty's first interplanetary space odyssey
- Radiohead has left the internet
- NVIDIA 365.10 drivers optimized for Overwatch, Forza
- LG fingerprint sensor sits beneath smartphone screen
- Power your phone and find your car with this double-duty device
- JBL Xtreme Portable Bluetooth Speaker Review
- PC reboots immediately after being put to sleep
- How does correct CPU install bend pins?
- AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition (RSCE) 16.4.2 Overview
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched