How does DDR work?
DDR works by using both the rising edge and falling edge of the clock cycle as opposed to PC100/133 SDRAM which uses only the falling edge of the clock cycle. DDR SDRAM uses a new rating standard in order to determine it's PC rating, PC2100 DDR SDRAM actually runs at 266MHz. The way the rating is worked out is this. You take the System Bus, Multiply it by 8 and then multiply it again by 2. So for PC2100 SDRAM we get 133x8x2=2168. This is also the amount of bandwidth the SDRAM supplies so PC2100 SDRAM supplies 2.1GB/s. This is the easiest formula to work this out. Below is a diagram showing how DDR SDRAM works...
The AMD 760 supports the new PC1600 and PC2100 DDR SDRAM standards. Unlike VIA's chipsets, the AMD 760 chipset runs it's memory bus synchronous to the FSB. This means that the FSB your CPU uses is the same as the memory uses, you can't get the memory clock on the AMD 760 to +PCICLK like VIA chipsets can.
Also another mis-report we have seen in our travels is that the AMD 760 Northbridge doesn't support multiplier adjustments, this is false. The AMD 760 does support multiplier adjustments, as you will see later on in this review. While AMD recommends that motherboard manufactures use the AMD 766 Viper2 Southbridge, however, FIC and most others using the AMD 760 chipsets are using the new VIA 686B Southbridge. The reason behind this according to FIC is that VIA's 686B Southbridge is more supported by the Windows operating system and VIA's USB controllers are a lot more compatible then AMD's 766's.
- Overclocking Features
The FIC AD11, like the AZ11E has support for overclockers. Two banks of four dipswitches are provided. The top set of Dipswitches (pictured above) adjusts the CPU clock multiplier. The range of the adjustments are form 5x up to 12.5x. Located next to the dipswitches is the jumper, when set to the 1-2 position the CPU runs on its FID multiplier, when set to 2-3 the FID signal is overridden and the multiplier adjustment switches are active.
The second set of dipswitches control the CPU core voltage. Again located next to the dipswitches controls the VID. When set to 1-2 the CPU uses its VID to supply the motherboard with the voltage requirements. When set to 2-3 the dipswitches are active and you can control the CPU core voltage. You can adjust the CPU core voltage from 1.45 up to 1.85 in 0.25V increments. FSB adjustments are provided inside the BIOS and can be adjusted from 100Mhz up to 150MHz. A jumper beside the DDR DIMM slots controls the manual override for the FSB selection. While you can adjust the FSB in BIOS you can also use the jumper to set the FSB to either 100MHz or 133MHz.
- Socket Layout
The Socket A layout is a very clean one, the room provided gave enough room to put either a Thermaltake Orb or Alpha's biggest Socket A cooler the PEP66-T cooler in its default position, making it ideal for overclockers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Enjoy the photos of another historic SpaceX launch
- 4K textures required in Xbox One X games even on HDTVs
- Nintendo wants best third party games on Switch
- 'xXx 4' is a go, with Vin Diesel to return
- Major flaw found in Intel CPUs and HT, needs BIOS fix
- WD Red 10TB NAS HDD Review
- modded my x79-ud3 bios, processor support question
- The Mummy Movie Review
- Computer freeze and audio buzz issue
- AZZA Photios 250 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller