Abit have customized their drivers so that there is a "Clock Frequency" tab in the advanced display options by default. This saves you having to download a patch or third party program such as PowerStrip to overclock your card. We were able to overclock the Siluro MX440 to 320MHz/480MHz core/memory speed with the stock cooler installed. At this speed, the card was running rock solid with no image artifacts whatsoever. This is a very decent overclock and at those speeds I found about a 10% increase in performance. As usual, Abit lives up to its reputation of providing very overclockable products.
Overall, I was quite impressed with the Abit Siluro GeForce4 MX440. The GeForce4 MX chipset is a strong attempt at creating a high performing, low cost graphics solution. There are, however, a few trade offs. Firstly, the GeForce4 MX is not a DirectX 8 part like the GeForce3 and GeForce4 Ti cards. With most newer games being based around DirectX 8.0, you may be disappointed down the road if you purchase this card as it won't be able to take full advantage of the DirectX 8 features.
Accuview anti-aliasing provides great image quality with a relatively low performance hit. nVidia's nView technology is also a great addition for those of you that like to run multiple monitors, but require higher gaming performance than that given to you by competing Matrox/ATi products.
When considering the results, please keep in mind that the GeForce3 Ti200, although being an older card, is around US$80 more expensive than the GeForce4 MX440. The GeForce3 range has also been phased out by nVidia, so in the near future you will have quite a hard time finding a GeForce3 card in stores. The bottom line is, although the GeForce4 MX is slightly primitive technology wise, you will not find a card that offers better performance for such a low price.
Great overclocking results
Small-ish software bundle
Lacks DirectX 8 hardware support
Rating - 8.5/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Team manager sets out to create eSports player union
- Elon Musk wasn't joking about this plan to 'nuke Mars'
- Valve employee proposes to his wife in VR using the HTC Vive headset
- Vinyl sales have outpaced streaming revenues, according to the RIAA
- NASA dumps over 8,400 photos from the Apollo moon mission onto Flickr
- Why will my video card not work?
- M.2 Drive not showing up.
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Stabilty Issue!!!
- Tesoro Lobera Spectrum RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Gigabyte Windows 10 driver updates, Utilities...
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog