Moving along to the board itself and this is where the big bickies are spent. The board is a 6 layer full ATX PCB measuring 30x24cm. The PCB in colour is a very dark chocolate brown with blue, white and orange slots.
Layout wise, we have a rather interesting setup. On the right hand side of the board, at the very edge we have the 24-pin ATX power connector. Directly below that we have the front panel switch header in orange, a front panel FireWire port header in red and two blue USB 2.0 port headers. This is a rather impressive way to keep the front panel cables up and away from the bottom of the board.
The 4/8 pin EPS power connector is located behind the PS/2 and S/PDIF out audio ports. One thing we found was there is a capacitor in the way of the clip lock on the power connector, so if the 4/8 pin connector has a large plastic lock clip on it like ours did, the cable won't lock in.
Keeping things good is a priority with today's computers which run faster and hotter than previous generations. ASRock has used a heat-pipe that covers the X58 Northbridge and the Mosfet assembly. The Southbridge has its own heatsink which isn't connected to the pipe network, so it is isolated.
Moving along; down the right hand side of the board we see how ASRock has arranged its mass storage connectors. Like most X58 boards, the IDE port and SATA ports are on the right hand side of the board towards the lower end. The SATA ports are stacked to reduce the overall amount of space required to put the ports on the board and are rotated 90 degrees. The IDE controller is run off a PCI-E based VIA IDE/SATA controller chip which gives the board its rear I/O eSATA port.
ASRock has managed to keep the CPU area as clear from large components as possible to allow large after market heatsinks to be installed. To give the CPU a clean power signal, ASRock uses an 8 phase regulation system that uses solid state components rather than the older electrolyte capacitors and copper wound chokes.
Moving to the rear I/O ports, we see that ASRock has done a pretty good job here. They have kept the two PS/2 ports and for its digital audio, an RCA and Toslink S/PDIF output. Two Gigabit Ethernet ports allow for Dual Net setup for increased speed. One of the best features is the eSATA port that is run off the same VIA chip that gives the board its IDE port.
It's now time for a run down on the expansion slots. There are a total of four PCI-E x16 slots for graphics cards. In this group of four there are two blue slots and two orange slots. The blue slots are x16 full speed until a graphics card is installed into the corresponding orange slots, in which case the blue slots are split into x8 slots to give the orange slots 8 lanes. Lastly, there are three PCI legacy slots. It's interesting to note that there are no PCI-E x1 slots on this board at all.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and Memory Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sisoft Sandra]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - SYSmark 2007 Preview]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 12 [Power Usage and Heat Tests]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- For Honor PC requirements revealed
- Take a closer look at the Xbox One's 28nm APU die
- New images of the upcoming LG G6 leaked
- COD: Infinite Warfare - best-selling game of 2016 in US
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni