Idle temperatures were attained by reading GPU-Z 0.3.1, EVGA Precision Tool as well as checking a third time with EVEREST Ultimate. After a restart of the PC, I allowed around ten to fifteen minutes for the PC to get sorted and allow the cooler time to stabilize. Load testing was done with the use of oZone3D.net's FurMark build 1.6.0 to stress the cards for a 20 minute testing cycle. Temperatures were again taken with the three previously mentioned applications.
It's worth mentioning is that all three programs when tested showed the same exact temperature with no variation between the three. Keeping the room at a constant ambient temperature is a little tough to do, but all of my testing was done with a 25 -26° Celsius environment, with slight fluctuations. I did, however, let the room stabilize before running the next testing series.
You can see I ran a series of testing here to give a better idea of its potential. I based all temperature comparisons off of the stock BIOS and fans ability to cool as to the IXG-80HA2. The ZOTAC stock cooler with stock GPU clocks of 675 / 1100 / 1688 (Core/Mem/Shaders) did an average job of cooling, idling at 60° and loading at 81° Celsius. SilenX shows that my 9800GTX is recommended to run on one fan, but I continued to test it with all three fan solutions.
As you can see, the cooler responds well to the addition of extra fans, finishing out with the coolest temperatures being attained with the three fan application. This set-up left me with an idle temperature of 38° and loading at 67° Celsius. Lastly, these numbers were recorded using the fans running at max flow and RPM's. These are the best results I was able to achieve at these settings.
This time I let the 9800GTX loose on just the core and shaders, keeping the RAM at the same speed as my vRAM doesn't overclock that well anyways. The overclocked settings were set at 750 / 1100 / 1876 (Core/Mem/Shaders). As you can see, the stock cooler BIOS kept the cooler within a few degrees of the non-overclocked temperatures, but I did like the improvements the multi-fan setups on the IXG-80HA2 offers.
While my best load temps were recorded during the dual fan setup, the tri-fan setup kept a lower idle temperature of 38° Celsius while loading two degrees higher than the dual fan setup at 77° Celsius. I can only attribute these findings to possible turbulence caused on this specific card with the tri-fans running at full speed.
I couldn't really get an audio reading on the fans with our dB meter, as the case I happened to have it in wasn't the most conducive case to getting the near silent atmosphere needed to get correct figures. I will say this; the fans are definitely audible, but not in any way what I would consider loud. With the addition of more fans as per your needs for your application, the noise does of course become a bit more noticeable. Again, testing of the fans efficiency to cool was done so the voltage was as good as it could be to supply these fans with everything they needed to do their job. I did not place the resisters inline during testing, but did just to see if they functioned. They do slow the fans down in two different steps, but this also lowers the coolers ability to do its job as well.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [The SilenX iXtrema Pro IXG-80HA2]
- Page 5 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 6 [The SilenX iXtrema Pro IXG-3F2 optional fan kit]
- Page 7 [The Card, Prep and Installation]
- Page 8 [Testing Results]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance