Specifications, Availability and Pricing
The Western Digital Caviar Green series of drives come in both 16 and 32 MB cache sizes. The 2TB model we are looking at today and the 1.5 TB are only available in 32 MB, but the 1TB, 750GB, 640GB and 500GB are offered with 16MB cache. The 1TB drive is the only one offered in both cache sizes.
Western Digital has always been good at publishing the details of their products. As you can see, everything is pretty standard when it comes to the size of the drive and the typical specifications all apply.
One item that you don't see listed is rotational speed. This is because the Green Series uses IntelliPower, a fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance. That is the official statement on it, but just think of it as a dynamic system that will adjust with the demands placed on the drive.
The Intelligence doesn't stop there.
IntelliPower - A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance.
IntelliSeek - Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption, noise, and vibration.
Cool and quiet - GreenPower technology yields lower operating temperatures for increased reliability and low acoustics for ultra-quiet PCs and external drives.
NoTouch ramp load technology - The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.
Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) - Employs PMR technology to achieve even greater areal density.
StableTrac - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations. (2 TB models only)
Low power spin-up - WD Caviar Green drives consume less current during startup, allowing lower peak loads.
Advanced power technology - Electronic components deliver best-in-class low power consumption for reduced power requirements and increased reliability
Looking over at Newegg, the new Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB is not yet in stock but it has a list price of 299 USD which is the MSRP and it should start shipping anytime within the next week or two. Many are going to balk at the price and even I have to admit that it is a lot of dough for a desktop drive. Let's dive in and see what all you get for all of that green.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The Galaxy Note7 might be coming back with a new battery
- Nier: Automata on PC likely delayed due to piracy fears
- Nintendo Switch runs cool, about 37C under load
- Samsung's next VR headset could come with a controller
- Xiaomi to release their own processor - Pinecone
- How can I Speedup Outlook 2010 Performance?
- Changing Device ID
- Z170M Pro4S underperforming RAM / UEFI bug
- PC may end up in a reboot cycle from cold boot.
- Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming G1 M.2 SSD Supported?
- ASUS announces VivoMini VC66R and VC66
- BIOSTAR RACING Series motherboard lineup for AMD RYZEN announced
- Team Group officially announces the T-FORCE DARK series memory module with ASUS ROG Certified
- MSI announces Aero ITX series graphics cards
- ASUS Partners with WPGI womens Esports league