Specifications, Availability and Pricing
The Western Digital Caviar Green series of drives come in both 16 and 32 MB cache sizes. The 2TB model we are looking at today and the 1.5 TB are only available in 32 MB, but the 1TB, 750GB, 640GB and 500GB are offered with 16MB cache. The 1TB drive is the only one offered in both cache sizes.
Western Digital has always been good at publishing the details of their products. As you can see, everything is pretty standard when it comes to the size of the drive and the typical specifications all apply.
One item that you don't see listed is rotational speed. This is because the Green Series uses IntelliPower, a fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance. That is the official statement on it, but just think of it as a dynamic system that will adjust with the demands placed on the drive.
The Intelligence doesn't stop there.
IntelliPower - A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance.
IntelliSeek - Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption, noise, and vibration.
Cool and quiet - GreenPower technology yields lower operating temperatures for increased reliability and low acoustics for ultra-quiet PCs and external drives.
NoTouch ramp load technology - The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.
Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) - Employs PMR technology to achieve even greater areal density.
StableTrac - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations. (2 TB models only)
Low power spin-up - WD Caviar Green drives consume less current during startup, allowing lower peak loads.
Advanced power technology - Electronic components deliver best-in-class low power consumption for reduced power requirements and increased reliability
Looking over at Newegg, the new Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB is not yet in stock but it has a list price of 299 USD which is the MSRP and it should start shipping anytime within the next week or two. Many are going to balk at the price and even I have to admit that it is a lot of dough for a desktop drive. Let's dive in and see what all you get for all of that green.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Major flaw found in Intel CPUs and HT, needs BIOS fix
- Apple talks about designing the touchscreen for iPhone
- Facebook pays up to $3 million per ep for original shows
- Intel's next-gen 6C/12T: competes with AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
- Microsoft sees 32TB of unreleased Windows builds leaked
- modded my x79-ud3 bios, processor support question
- The Mummy Movie Review
- Computer freeze and audio buzz issue
- AZZA Photios 250 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Team T-Force Dark ROG DDR4-3000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller