The GELID Silent Spirit
The compact nature of the Silent Sprit is very evident from the side view. This cooler comes equipped from GEILID's factory ready to be applied to any LGA775 motherboard. One point of interest is the slight angle GELID has chosen to use on this cooler. This is in place to help aid in the cooling of the surrounding motherboard components.
With this view of the "top" of the cooler there is a good look at the textured fin pattern that surround those four, 6mm heat pipes.
A look from this side shows how the nickel plated base and its surrounding heat sink takes the heat to the soldered in heat pipes. The fins on the other hand are stamped, slid down and stacked to finish the heat dissipation.
The base of this cooler is shipped from the factory with pre-applied GC-1, high performance Thermal compound. This base is a copper center surrounded by a nickel plated aluminum heat sink atop of it. While this works for most end users, I have to remove it and level the field by testing with the same TIM on every cooler.
Here I have removed the TIM and get a close up of the flatness of the base. While this image shows a nice pattern in the milling of the base, it isn't as obvious to the naked eye.
This is the point where I get to the workhorse of the Silent Spirit. This 90mm, 45.8 CFM fan is surrounded by a very open finger guard style cage. That combined with the rubber anti-vibration mounting for the fan will keep the fan and the cage from making noise against each other.
This view of the underside of the fan is set on this angle to point out how this fan mounts to the fins of the Silent Spirit. With two simple tabs on either side, this fan simply clips over the top of the cooler with minimal effort. The final fit is a bit loose for the cage to the cooler; the fan can move around a bit.
This is a really close look at how the Silent Spirit has the cage and the fan housing separated from vibration from each other. GELID didn't take this train of thought all the way to the cooler though, as the plastic is in direct contact with the fins, loosely as stated earlier.
Here we view what usually isn't able to be seen clearly while the fan is mounted to the cooler. GELID has taken a two fin high, three fin low design concept. They have put a lot of thought into the airflow on the Silent Spirit, so I would venture to say they did this to keep the correct spacing to maximize the turbulence created by the fan.
From the side this fin design is less evident as GELID has left the edges with a tab on every fin to help support the fan clamping system.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Since the CPU cooler sample TT received was a damaged (thank you post man) first pilot run sample we both have decided to retest a new mass production sample and revise the review.
Upon arrival, all package
Latest News Posts
- Most VFX companies don't use GPUs for the final rendering of scenes
- Modern Warfare Remastered has 10 multiplayer maps, full campaign
- Microsoft does the impossible, uses actual synthetic DNA to store data
- Valve partners with Bitpay, with Bitcoin support now on Steam
- Intel no longer defines itself as a PC company, thinking more broadly
- Six Windows Applications Free Pack
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar Pro Bluetooth Portable Speaker Review
- Thecus N5810 Consumer NAS Review
- Cold double post on Z77X-UD5H
- Lian Li PC-X510 question about resonance sound
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched