Using a 1/5/1(AGP/CPI/Riser), the DFI NB70-SC is laid out like just about any other OEM driven motherboard. Many of DFI's motherboards use this same configuration, so we see that the big push from DFI at the moment is towards OEM sales rather than hardcore overclockers. Supporting Intel's CNR standard, the NB70-SC is ideal for the business PC or simple P4 home use. And since it supports only 1.5v AGP video cards (thanks to the i845D chipset), you will need a reasonably new AGP card to run this board, and that can be a drawback.
Driven by Intel's i845D DDR SDRAM chipset, there is plenty of headroom for the Pentium 4 with its DDR SDRAM support. It has 2 DDR DIMM's and can accept up to 2GB of total system memory. This is the one limiting factors of the i845D boards; their support for only 4-bank memory. While some boards offer 3 or 4 DDR DIMM's, you need to use special memory configurations to use the entire 3 or 4 DIMM slots. Utilizing the ICH2, we get 4 USB ports on 32 controllers (2 ports per controller), ATA-100 IDE, AC'97 Audio, and all those other Intel goodies. While the Intel Pro100VE LAN is integrated into the ICH2, DFI have chosen not to use it and strip the board of LAN functions.
This ain't good!
We've seen this before, and it's not good! Soldered onto the motherboard is the BIOS Flash chip, so if you do get a bad Flash your board needs to go back to DFI to have the BIOS replaced or re-Flashed; and that is an expensive process. No Hot Flashes here guys.
Stability, Reliability and Overclocking
The DFI board is very plain when it comes to overclocking. FSB adjustments are made in 1MHz increments, and are all this board supports. There are some rather nice AGP, PCI and memory tweaks in the BIOS, but nothing to get over excited about. The stability of the board, however, is. We ran this board through 48 hours of solid benchmarking. During this testing of the stability of the motherboard, we never had one single crash or data corruption error. This is very good sign for the business market who need to have rock solid performance.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Android co-founder teases his upcoming smartphone
- Elon Musk teases Model Y for 'S3XY' lineup
- Samsung confirms that the Note7 isn't quite dead yet
- Apple iPhone 6s was the best-selling smartphone of 2016
- Rogue One looks great, even in a fan-made VHS commercial
- N3150-ITX Mini-PCI Express Slot
- Intel Optane Memory: What It Is and Why It Matters
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Gigabyte Aorus z270x Gaming 9 Motherboard Bios Code: bcc0
- New Mobo and my W10 Install?
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse