The GTX 285 is really nothing more than an over clocked GTX 280 based on 55nm technology. Now, if NVIDIA didn't have a new card like the GTX 295 coming out along side it, this would probably annoy us like the whole 9800 GTX+ release.
The name change this time around isn't really that confusing and not only is the performance increase seen across the board, but the drop in power used along with the move to dual 6-pin PCI E connectors does warrant it.
Upgrading from a GTX 280 to a GTX 285 is pretty much pointless and it's going to be a hard decision to make. If you can get a good price for your GTX 280, the move to a GTX 295 would be nice, thanks to the smaller power draw and extra performance the card offers.
Looking closer at the GIGABYTE card, there isn't a whole lot to say. The package is light, but with most newly released cards this isn't really uncommon. The cooler is standard which is again of no surprise and the clocks are reference. Ultimately, GIGABYTE let the card do the talking and it says "Hello, I'm a cooler and faster GTX 280."
We have a great card here that is going to be a nice upgrade for people with a HD 4870, GTX 260 or anything lower. For the most part it sits behind the HD 4870 X2, but this isn't a surprise thanks to the extra GPU present on the ATI offering.
Ultimately we have a good card here which is great practice for NVIDIA to enter the 55nm market.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2 - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.