With a name like Phenom II we were kind of hoping to see something major in change from what AMD calls its improvements to the K10 architecture. Now, we aren't scoffing at the increase in L3 cache from 2MB to 6MB, or the new fabrication process, but AMD really hasn't done any major upgrades to the Phenom to classify it as a new processor. Phenom II is simply what we would call moving from Conroe to Penryn; a new fab and a few tweaks, but no new architecture.
Now, we have a few gripes on the CPU, but we'll first touch on the pluses. The reduction in fabrication size from 65nm to 45nm has resulted in AMD cutting power requirements for the latest batch of Phenom II processors; this makes them ideal for media servers and mid range gaming platforms.
The next big thing is price. AMD hasn't been able to beat Intel in the performance field, so to keep people coming back to AMD processors, the price of them continues to be slashed. To this end, AMD's top line processors are extremely cheap. Phenom II is no different and while not as cheap as chips, so the saying goes, AMD's Phenom II clocked at 3GHz comes in well below Intel's extremely high asking price for the Core 2 Quad 9770 processor.
The bottom line here for us is that AMD still hasn't given Intel a real run for their money. But AMD won't be fading away into the dark anytime soon and hopefully it won't take too long to gain the upper hand.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NZXT shows off new Puck cable management system
- Switch's add-on box to use the cloud to boost GPU power?
- GabeN admits Steam support needs more work
- First all-electric car ever to complete the Dakar rally
- LG announces X300, an entry-level smartphone
- bios update
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni
- NZXT reveals new Puck cable management system
- Synology unveils Surveillance Station 8.0
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup