Pulling the card and it's connected components out of the briefcase, we have three sections to look at. The main bit is of course the HD 4870 X2 and connected to that we have a radiator along with the CPU block we mentioned before.
There really isn't anything too unusual going on with the card; the back is covered with a sticker that has the ATOMIC logo along with Sapphire's and ATI's. We can see two pipes coming out of the top of the card which are actually only a 1/4" in diameter. While smaller than most water-cooling solutions, hopefully Sapphire know what they're doing and it still kicks butt.
Looking around the card itself, we have our two power connectors located towards the back of the card, a single 8-pin and single 6-pin connector. Moving to the front of the card, we have a Crossfire connector. While in a good position and not being blocked by the included CPU cooler, it could be a little difficult to get two of these cards running.
As far as the I/O department goes, we have two Dual-Link DVI connectors and a single TV-Out port sitting between the two.
Moving away from the card for a second and having a look at the extras, we have a single 120mm radiator alongside a pretty sturdy looking CPU block with a copper base. The system is a closed loop circuit which doesn't require maintenance; this attested by the lack of a fill point being present. Out of the box the circuit is filled up and ready to go and this is great for people who like the idea of having water cooled components without the concern of having to maintain it themselves.
What's also great about the cooling solution is that Sapphire has opted to use one of the best water-cooling manufacturers out there. With the help of Asetek they've managed to put together what looks to be a very sturdy solution. While the tubing is looking a bit thin, we're sure that Asetek know what they're doing. As for its GPU cooling performance, we'll find that out very soon.
As we mentioned earlier, the card does come in overclocked. As you can see below, the core has been increased from 750MHz to 800MHz while the memory has moved from 900MHz (3600MHz effectively) to a more round sounding 1000MHz (4000MHz effectively).
Is that enough for it to really stamp out the competition? Well, time will only tell, so let's check out the test system setup we have today and get stuck into the performance the card offers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2 - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Google Contributor reduces website ads for monthly fee
- AMD Radeon Settings, Crimson Edition driver released
- Microsoft says its worker cutback affected staff diversity
- Sony tells users not to upgrade to Windows 10
- Increase in card use ensures China's payment fraud rises
- Upgrade RAM on G11CD system assistance
- C2750D4I - BMC Update Failed
- X99 Extreme 6/3.1 Bios Update to support Samsung 950 Pro M.2.
- PC-A04 case top USB Multi-Media I/O ports replacement
- Asrock H170M-ITX\ac Windows 10 fresh install
- EASARS Unveils World of Tanks and Team RIVAL Licensed Gaming Gear
- G.SKILL Boosts DDR4 8GB Module Speed Up to 4133MHz 16GB
- Sharkoon Announces SHARK ZONE K20 Gaming Keyboard
- EK Releases Monoblock for GIGABYTE Z170X Motherboards
- BROFORCE AIR-DROPS HUGE POST LAUNCH UPDATE BECAUSE FREEDOM CANNOT BE CONTAINED