Since the Intel Pentium 4's humble beginnings as a Socket 423 RDRAM monster with little to offer, this processor has gained strength in the market sector. Introduction of cheaper platform solutions from VIA, SiS, ALi and even Intel has made the Pentium 4 much more attractive. Even with RDRAM systems, OEM's did not hesitate to introduce the Pentium 4 into the lines, and with i845 SDRAM chipsets, the Pentium 4 has taken the desktop market. While the Willamette was good, it wasn't great. This new Northwood is definitely the big hit that has been in Intel's mind.
While I found the Northwood to give better performance that its Willamette brother (due to increasing L2 cache), it still didn't produce earth shattering performance. Stability of the Northwood was remarkable as it took over 100 applications running at the same time to crash the it.
Overclocking is the Northwood core's biggest asset. With reduction in voltage and die size, the Northwood sample we received reached a whopping 2.80GHz with only a 0.5v increase. Due to memory restrictions of the RDRAM system, trying to run 133Mhz FSB to give us a 3GHz result wasn't possible; but other chipsets may bring better luck
Overall, the Northwood is a full blown step in the right direction for Intel, and shows that they can keep the clock speeds high. This makes them an attractive feature to the first time buyer.
Built in Thermal Protection
Multiplier is locked; no way to unlock
Rating - 9/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- Fable Legends will use foliage physics to increase visual fidelity
- AMD: GPUOpen could be used for smartphone, tablet graphics
- Galaxy S7 battery said to last two days on single charge
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- Help with N56VB notebook screen
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance
- Thermaltake and First Green Partner Aria PC Technology Join to Promote the Smart Power Management (SPM) Platform