Since the Intel Pentium 4's humble beginnings as a Socket 423 RDRAM monster with little to offer, this processor has gained strength in the market sector. Introduction of cheaper platform solutions from VIA, SiS, ALi and even Intel has made the Pentium 4 much more attractive. Even with RDRAM systems, OEM's did not hesitate to introduce the Pentium 4 into the lines, and with i845 SDRAM chipsets, the Pentium 4 has taken the desktop market. While the Willamette was good, it wasn't great. This new Northwood is definitely the big hit that has been in Intel's mind.
While I found the Northwood to give better performance that its Willamette brother (due to increasing L2 cache), it still didn't produce earth shattering performance. Stability of the Northwood was remarkable as it took over 100 applications running at the same time to crash the it.
Overclocking is the Northwood core's biggest asset. With reduction in voltage and die size, the Northwood sample we received reached a whopping 2.80GHz with only a 0.5v increase. Due to memory restrictions of the RDRAM system, trying to run 133Mhz FSB to give us a 3GHz result wasn't possible; but other chipsets may bring better luck
Overall, the Northwood is a full blown step in the right direction for Intel, and shows that they can keep the clock speeds high. This makes them an attractive feature to the first time buyer.
Built in Thermal Protection
Multiplier is locked; no way to unlock
Rating - 9/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Tesla P85D smashes two Motorsport cars in drag race
- Riot considers G2A sponsorship ban, asks teams to follow suit
- DICE says there will be no microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront
- This tool allows you to use your taskbar on any multi-monitor setup
- Be Quiet! launches its Silent Base 600 chassis with insulation
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent
- DOK SOLUTION UNVEILS CR09, 2 DEVICE CHARGER/CRADLE/CLOCK/SPEAKER/RADIO WITH 'SCD TECHNOLOGY' (SMART CURRENT DETECTION), NO MORE OVERCHARGING!
- FIRST CELLULAR ANDROID WEAR SMARTWATCH PREVIEWED AT LG EVENT
- LG UNVEILS V10, A SMARTPHONE DESIGNED WITH CREATIVITY IN MIND
- Marvell Teams Up with Google to Enable Chromecast 2.0 and Chromecast Audio