While we thought that the decision not to release a 1GB model of the HD 4870 at launch was a bad idea, when you compare it to the 512MB stock model the chances are that most of the increases are being seen from the increased clocks speeds as opposed to the extra memory. It will be interesting to see the difference when we have a stock clocked 1GB card on hand.
We don't doubt for a second, though, that the 1GB version of the HD 4870 is going to be popular. There's that thing inside of us that says more is better and since the price difference isn't huge, it's not going to hurt too much by grabbing the extra memory.
As usual, Palit has done a pretty impressive job here. The cooler does a good job of not only keeping the card cool, but doing it at a pretty reasonable noise level. While the switch is a bit on the pointless side of things, in the fastest mode the clocks aren't too bad and help get a bit more performance.
Following on with typical Palit style, there isn't a whole lot going on in the package. With only the bare essentials in cables and paper work, there isn't a whole lot to get excited about.
But that's where the bad news ends and the good news continues on. When you turn around to the I/O shield and find yourself being greeted by all those ports, including HDMI and Display Port, it's easy to be impressed with the card.
While we would probably suggest most people save the dollars and just go down the 512MB route, if you're looking for more memory then the Palit is a good option with a huge amount of features on tap, including a nice out-of-the-box overclock.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark06]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - XP]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10 - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3 - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature & Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.