Like the Asylum system we looked at not that long ago, upon pulling the beast that is the Smoothbook DR out of the briefcase, your jaw hits the ground faster than the speed of light. Like the Asylum, the Smoothbook DR is sporting one of those fancy airbrushed paint jobs, which is nothing short out astounding to look at in the flesh.
Up the top of the Smoothbook DR we have a skull face that looks like it's about to attack you. It's hard to explain exactly what's going on with the paint job, so it's easiest to simply let the pictures do the talking. The only other noticeable piece on the top here is three LED indicator lights that tell you when the power is on, if it's running off the battery and other useful information.
Smooth Creations has done more than just paint the top of the notebook and leave it at that. Looking around the outside, we can see that the paint job is literally everywhere it can be. This really helps tip the paint job over from a quick slap on top to a professional finish like we're seeing here today.
The paint job doesn't just stop there; upon opening the notebook to reveal the massive 17" screen that sports a 1920 x 1200 resolution, we find the skull themed paint job cover the notebook from top to bottom.
With the paint job looked at, let's have a quick look at what's on offer on the outside. The left side of the notebook gives us VGA out, S-Video out, CATV connectivity, phone line, network port, mini FireWire, PCMCIA and a card reader.
Spinning around to the front, we have some speakers along with a few audio jacks that cover headphones and a microphone.
The right hand side of the notebook gives us four USB 2.0 ports, while the back gives us a DVI port and power point.
Also included in the package is a Logitech mouse that follows the same paint scheme as the notebook. What good is a notebook that is aimed at gaming which forces you to to use the touchpad out of the box.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Outside]
- Page 3 [The Specifications]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark06]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - wPrime]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - EVEREST]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 14 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MSI's first Intel 200-series chipset motherboard is feature heavy
- Access over 1,200 business and IT courses with Career Academy
- GALAX shows off Hall of Fame 4000MHz DDR4 RAM
- GALAX unveils new prismatic Gamer Series DDR4 RAM lineup
- New ASUS ROG Swift monitor can hit 180Hz with NVIDIA G-Sync
- GA-Z170X-GAMING 5 New build option questions
- Patriot Tab 128GB Micro USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- Z170 Extreme7+ Correct USB drivers Win10 x64
- Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming K4 & 950 NVMe M.2 SSD question
- Problem entering bios on new build
- Patriot presents UHS-II capable EP PRO-II SDXC and microSDXC
- Patriot announces 2TB Ignite SSD
- Tt eSPORTS unveils the new Level 10 Advanced gaming mouse
- EVGA announces its GeForce GTX 1080 series
- Palit announces the GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock and Super JetStream