Here we have the CPU-Z details of our two stars. Unfortunately, our choice of board prevented any overclocking. Even the Intel board didn't allow for much leeway, apart from multiplier changes. The GIGABYTE board wouldn't allow us to raise the FSB above standard; any settings other than stock would cause endless BIOS loops and required CMOS resetting.
So, now that is said and done, we'll have a look at the CPUs themselves. From the data between the two, we can see that both the standard Core i7 920 and Extreme Edition 965 share the same core, only the Extreme gets a 540MHz bump in clock speed. Also, to help get the Extreme Edition further ahead, it uses a 3.2GHz clocked QPI link, while the 2.66GHz uses a 2.4GHz clocked QPI.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Intel Nehalem Architecture]
- Page 3 [Intel Core i7 Platform]
- Page 4 [Intel Core i7 Platform - Continued]
- Page 5 [CPU-Z Details]
- Page 6 [Test System Setups]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - EVEREST Ultimate Edition]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Sisoft Sandra]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Super Pi]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - SYSmark 2007 Preview]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 4]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6's 'compelling' story will focus on Master Chief
- AMD Radeon RX Vega bundled with Quake Champions
- Nintendo won't be at E3 2017
- AI to replace over 50% of ALL jobs in the next 10 years
- Acer Predator X27 gaming monitor: 4K, 144Hz, HDR, G-Sync
- Cutting LED-Strips - LED50RGB-2
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives