Once we get the side panel off we get to see the interior. Since it is a mid-tower enclosure, there isn't going to be a huge working area. There is, however, plenty of room for a mATX, ATX or CEB (dual processor server-style) motherboard. The enclosure is also set up to offer a tool free installation, but we'll detail that in just a bit.
Starting up toward the top brings us to the CD drive bays. Each bay has its own rail to make installation easy and to ensure that the drives are more securely held in their respective slot. Directly below the optical drive bays is the 3.5" external bay. All drive bays also have a small metal strip that functions as a small spring. This presses lightly against the installed drive to act as a damper for vibration. It is small details like this that can make or break a product.
In keeping with the tool free concept, all optical drives and the floppy drive are held in place by the simply expediency of pressing a button. Once the drive is inserted, just line it up and punch the black button to lock it firmly in place. To release the drive, simply slide the oblong latch and the button releases the drive. This is one of the simplest tool free drive locks I've seen.
Moving down the drive tower brings us to the hard drive cage. Here you will find room for a total of five drives, each of which will be installed without tools. The rails you see above have small tabs that hook into the screw holes on your hard drive. Once you align the rails on the drive, just slide it into place. Also of note is that the rails have a rubber strip that keeps vibration under control.
Another feature of this enclosure is the fact that you can reverse the direction the hard drives face. Just remove the far side panel and you can insert the drives in from that side. The bays are universal in their layout so can be accessed from either direction. This can be handy if cable management is a concern to you.
From this angle, you can also see the large 120mm fan that is installed behind the front bezel. Intake for this fan is situated low, so fresh air comes in from the bottom of the bezel. Given the low footings used on then bottom of this enclosure, you will want to make sure you have this case set off the carpeting if you want to optimize your airflow.
Positioned just behind the hard drive tower is another vented area that is filtered. While there is no fan attached here, this filter is set up to be a mount for an additional 120mm fan. Since the fan would be situated at the bottom of the box, it is recommended that an installed fan here be used as an intake. Also, the same note as mentioned above applies here in that you will want this enclosure sitting on a smooth hard surface and not on carpet.
Moving back a little further shows us the PCI retention system, also a tool free feature. There is a single bar that rotates upward to unlock all of the peripheral slots. It is a simple yet effective method of retention that works well and maintains the tool free concept that Ikonik is building. It is also effective with tall cards, like high-end video boards, due to the fact that none of the locking device goes past the slot. There is nothing to get in the way of these taller boards and make you have to resort to screws.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- Help with N56VB notebook screen
- Intel MOBO with Fast POST boot time
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance
- Thermaltake and First Green Partner Aria PC Technology Join to Promote the Smart Power Management (SPM) Platform