Many enthusiasts are turning to notebooks for their portability and high performance. As prices drop on high performance models like my Lenovo T61p, more power users will look for a base model that can be easily upgraded with aftermarket parts. One of the easiest and most noticeable performance modifications to a notebook is installing a high performance hard drive.
The Western Digital Scorpio Black is one of the highest performing platter based notebook hard disks on the market today. It is difficult to believe that such a high performer comes with such a low cost. Western Digital has kept a firm grip on the high performance desktop sector with their Raptor Series and now they are making a similar play with notebooks.
The 110 Dollar price tag still has my head spinning for the 320GB Scorpio Black and I have made several trips back to Newegg to verify this is not a pricing error. How often can you get class leading performance for such a low cost?
Aside from the low cost and high speed, I find myself almost taking the extra space for granted. After 30 days of use I still have close to 90GB of space left. Normally I have dumped a couple of hundred gigabytes of data back to my home NAS server, but with 320GB of space you will not have to do that very often.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging and The Scorpio Black]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Huawei officially announces Honor V9
- Nintendo unboxes the Nintendo Switch
- NieR: Automata PC release date 'accidentally' revealed
- Nintendo Switch launch game exceeds console's storage
- AMD will dominate the mid-range with Ryzen 7 1700X
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- Z270 Supercarrier - blackscreen 09/d0, cannot switch to backup BIOS
- E5450 oveclock on EP45-DS3L
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood