With the advent of serial transfer technology for the hard disk market, we have finally seen improved transfer speeds when it comes to hard disks. NCQ and 300MB/s data transfer speeds now allow for desktop hard disks to perform faster and more reliably than the older parallel ATA solutions. While this may bode well for the desktop, the server market has still had to deal with parallel technology. SCSI has been the long favourite because of its faster interface speeds along with the ability to daisy chain up to 32 drives per channel. And with SCSI controllers having three or four channels, it was clear that SCSI had its benefits. However, parallel interfacing has gone out the window and we now have a new technology to replace it; this called Serial Attached SCSI or SAS.
How SAS works is very similar to SATA; it uses the same seven wires to connect the drive to the host controller. However, instead of sending ATA packets, SCSI data bits are sent along the controller cable to the controller which then decodes them. This means that the drive has no interface chip; similar to parallel SCSI; it's all handled on the controller card itself.
Today we have HighPoints Value series SAS controller card, aimed at the mid-range workstation or desktop with high data demands. The RocketRAID 2640X4 today makes its appearance here at TweakTown.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- The first big patch for Windows 10 is coming soon
- Rocket League patch will let you filter out PS4 users on the PC
- BBC's Grand Theft Auto TV movie 'The Gamechangers' trailer arrives
- Amnesia creators show off the latest trailer to SOMA, arrives Sep 22
- Apple's upcoming 21.5-inch iMac should feature a 4K display
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem
- Seagate Game Drive 2TB Xbox STEA2000403 Add-on Storage Device Review
- How can you find updated drivers like people post to this site all the time?
- Are these the same?
- Really Need help with Asmedia SATA Bios/Drivers settings
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015