J&W truly surprised us by jumping straight into the X48 platform. And to be honest, the performance was extremely impressive. While it doesn't seem that way when you look at the scores, there are a few things to consider. First off, compared to P45, the X48 is the first gen 4 series chipset from which the P45 has since evolved. P45 contains the same DDR2 and DDR3 memory controllers, but with a few features disabled. So, X48 and P45 on the memory and CPU fronts should perform identically, making X48 and DDR2 really a waste; only with DDR3 and XMP does it become attractive.
The second major thing is that X48 has a better Crossfire setup, allowing for CrossfireX where P45 doesn't. This is the big aim for the J&W board, aiming at high-end users wanting extreme performance and to do that you need a good board (which we think the J&W offering is) along with solid components like a Core 2 Quad or high-end 45nm Core 2 Duo and two GPUs to really take full advantage.
On the whole, the board impressed us. However, the lack of information on the box and complete absence of artwork really left us with a feeling of an OEM look with extreme performance. Maybe splash some more colour on the next line-up of packages J&W, this would be better.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup and Memory Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - SYSmark 2007 Preview]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 12 [Power Usage and Heat Tests]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- KFC denies leak of 11 secret herbs and spices recipe
- Raw Data update has a huge list of new features, enemies
- HTC 'still having internal discussions' on next-gen Vive
- CON MAN game has arrived on Apple & Android devices
- Ubisoft culls four PC games due to lack of popularity
- ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 not posting - error 69, 72, ......
- Memory Slot Issue - Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
- Asrock EP2C602-4L/D16 memory question?
- were is the 1394 label
- GB's z170x G7's audio compared to G1's
- ADATA launches the ultimate SU800SATA 6Gb/s 3D NAND SSD
- CAPE Audio shakes up the headphone industry with the release of Rebellion Headphones
- Tesoro announces ambidextrous, White Sharur SE Spectrum gaming mouse
- Eurocom launches worlds first GTX 1080 SLI VR-Ready laptop
- Thermaltake new Pacific RGB G1/4 PETG Tube 16mm OD 12mm ID 6 liquid-cooling fittings with 1 RGB LED lighting controller