Specifications, Availability and Pricing
The Zaward Gyre is an equal opportunity cooler capable of mounting all Socket 775 processors from Intel and all AMD sockets going back to 754. On the other side of the time table, Intel's latest and greatest is listed as are their hottest. Testing will show if processors like the quad core Extreme Editions are suitable for use with the Gyre.
The cooler is roughly 125mm square and 135mm tall. Three 8mm heat pipes are arranged in the typical U shape and run from a copper base (that is actually the heat pipes) to aluminum fins. This is where traditional goes south and innovation comes in. The fan is mounted on the top of the cooler, facing your case side panel. Air is blown down through a plastic shroud where fins redirect it through the cooling fins. I can think of two reasons why this method is better and one that may offset the advantage.
Fans have a dead spot behind the central mass where the magnets are placed and air is not pushed in this area. The real problem is the placement of the dead spot, directly in the middle of the cooler, right above the CPU core on down draft coolers, right where you want more airflow. On the new upright CPU coolers, the dead spot is in the middle again, but since you are relying on heat pipes to distribute that heat the effect of the dead spot is reduced. The Gyre takes the fans dead spot out of the picture and routes air to all of the fins with the aid of a plastic shroud.
The next benefit is also the downfall and without getting out all of the university books from the attic, the explanation will be dumbed down. If you are an engineer please understand that this is a technology website and not a place for me to get flamed for my understanding of physics.
On the benefit side, when compressed air changes direction it loses a percentage of audible noise. A good example would be a muffler on your car or a silencer on a gun. As air is forced to change direction 90 degrees inside of the Gyre shroud, it will lose some acoustic noise making the cooler quieter overall.
When air changes directions, its velocity is reduced and backpressure is built. When the new air from the fan is pumped into the shroud, the increased pressure makes the fan rotate slower and move less air.
All in all, we are only talking about a 120mm fan that is moving a relatively small amount of air when compared to an automobile engine or the pressures found in a .308 rifle. Still, the principals are the same.
Zaward is currently looking for a US distributer so availability in the US is very limited until such time. In Europe the Gyre will set you back right around 39 and I would expect a similar price in the US market.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Zaward Gyre ZCJ010]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Palmer Luckey spends money on pro-Trump 'meme magic'
- The biggest telescope begins its search for alien life
- Want to play Battlefield 1 early? Prepare for October 13
- Huawei and Leica establish new R&D center for VR and AR
- How you can become a hacker's worst nightmare
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Prepping LGA2011 Build
- Unable to find BIOS update for motherboard
- Lian Li O Series Multiple Expansion card support
- asrock fatality h170 performance red light on bios and not monitor output no beeps
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now