Opening up the box and checking out the card, we see it closely resembles the HD 3870 X2 from last generation. There isn't a whole lot to see as the cooler manages to take up the majority of the PCB.
Sapphire has of course placed a sticker over the cooler to let us know the brand and of course the model of it.
As far as power goes, we have two connectors located at the back of the card; one is an 8-pin while the other is the standard 6-pin we're used to seeing. Across the other side of the card we can see a Crossfire bridge that lets us install two of these cards. And yes, we will be making use of it today.
Moving to the back, we can see there is a heatsink that runs across the top. The whole card has a high quality feel and finish that we're used to seeing from AMD cards.
Finally moving to the I/O side of things, we have with us two Dual-Link DVI connectors with a TV-Out port sitting between the two. Above the DVI connectors we have a bunch of vents that help let the hot air escape. It doesn't come as any surprise that the card takes up two slots given the single-GPU HD 4870 also takes up two.
The HD 4870 X2 is really two HD 4870s on a single PCB. We have two sets of 800 stream processors, two sets of 40 texture units and 16 ROPs. Each 55nm core sports the same 956 million transistors we saw on the HD 4870 and two 256-bit memory buses.
Unlike the HD 3870 X2, the HD 4870 X2 clocks aren't down when compared to its single GPU counterpart. We see the same 750MHz core clock and 900MHz (3600MHz data rate) memory clock on the 2GB of HD 4870 X2.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark06]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - XP]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10 - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3 - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.