If the GSO wasn't confusing you before, it probably is now. The out-of-the-box overclock on offer from Leadtek for the most part puts us at about the same speed or slightly faster than the stock 9600GT. The only time the 9600GT really comes out ahead is at the higher resolution, but the performance it offers there tends to be too low anyway, making it kind of pointless.
The price on the Leadtek 9600 GSO is pretty much the same price as the 9600GT, making it a tough decision. And since power draw on both cards are almost identical, that isn't going to be a deciding factor. The good news is that the 9600 GSO from Leadtek does run cooler and quieter than a 9600GT that uses the standard cooling. The other thing is the Leadtek offering, while being aftermarket is still a single slot card which is good news; most aftermarket cooled 9600GT cards tend to be dual slot.
While the bundle was clearly on the lighter side of things, the cooler of choice and overall performance on offer here from the 9600 GSO Extreme is excellent. If you find yourself wanting a quick 9600 GSO that performs pretty much like a 9600GT; sometimes better, sometimes slightly worse, for the same price and with better noise levels and temperatures, this card is great.
You have to wonder what the point of buying a 9600GT is? - Ultimately though, if you want a little bit more memory and you're going to overclock, the performance it offers is better again than the 9600 GSO overclocked. At the moment the line-up looks like this. The 9600 GSO is the slowest, and by slowest we mean only 10% slower than a 9600GT. From there you can spend some more dollars and get an overclocked 9600 GSO or a stock clocked 9600GT, which for the most part perform the same. The fastest setup out of the lot is an overclocked 9600GT which is going to cost more money again.
It's all over the place with these nine series cards, and with new models around the corner like the 9800GT and 9800GTX+, prepare to get really confused.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark06]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - XP]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10 - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3 - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Red Dead Redemption 2 delay causes stock dive
- Destiny 2 on PC: no dedicated servers
- Red Dead Redemption 2 delayed to Spring 2018
- FF14: Stormblood's job level-up potions cost $25
- LG announces rugged smartphone - X Venture
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Alien Covenant Movie Review
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning