If the GSO wasn't confusing you before, it probably is now. The out-of-the-box overclock on offer from Leadtek for the most part puts us at about the same speed or slightly faster than the stock 9600GT. The only time the 9600GT really comes out ahead is at the higher resolution, but the performance it offers there tends to be too low anyway, making it kind of pointless.
The price on the Leadtek 9600 GSO is pretty much the same price as the 9600GT, making it a tough decision. And since power draw on both cards are almost identical, that isn't going to be a deciding factor. The good news is that the 9600 GSO from Leadtek does run cooler and quieter than a 9600GT that uses the standard cooling. The other thing is the Leadtek offering, while being aftermarket is still a single slot card which is good news; most aftermarket cooled 9600GT cards tend to be dual slot.
While the bundle was clearly on the lighter side of things, the cooler of choice and overall performance on offer here from the 9600 GSO Extreme is excellent. If you find yourself wanting a quick 9600 GSO that performs pretty much like a 9600GT; sometimes better, sometimes slightly worse, for the same price and with better noise levels and temperatures, this card is great.
You have to wonder what the point of buying a 9600GT is? - Ultimately though, if you want a little bit more memory and you're going to overclock, the performance it offers is better again than the 9600 GSO overclocked. At the moment the line-up looks like this. The 9600 GSO is the slowest, and by slowest we mean only 10% slower than a 9600GT. From there you can spend some more dollars and get an overclocked 9600 GSO or a stock clocked 9600GT, which for the most part perform the same. The fastest setup out of the lot is an overclocked 9600GT which is going to cost more money again.
It's all over the place with these nine series cards, and with new models around the corner like the 9800GT and 9800GTX+, prepare to get really confused.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark06]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - XP]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10 - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3 - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Hugh Jackman plays Wolverine one last time in 'Logan'
- Ubisoft teases 'game changing' patch for The Division
- AMD's new RSCE 16.10.2 drivers ready for Battlefield 1
- AMD to launch cut-down RX 470, competes with GTX 1050 Ti
- Nintendo Switch pre-order priced at AUD$999 in Australia
- Unable To Update AMD GPU Driver
- EVGA DG-87 Full-Tower Gaming Chassis Review
- New PC - no display on a screen, 3 beeps
- windows usb install file
- GIGABYTE P55W v6 Gaming Notebook Review
- Razer unveils new Razer Blade Pro gaming notebook
- Nintendo Switch world premiere demonstrates new entertainment experiences from a home gaming system
- PowerColor starts selling the DEVIL Box external graphics solution
- ESL to power PlayStation 4 competitive gaming
- Samsung rolls out industry's first 8GB LPDDR4 DRAM package