HD Tune Pro
Version and / or Patch Used: 3.00
Developer Homepage: http://www.efdsoftware.com/
Product Homepage: http://www.hdtune.com/>
HD Tune is a Hard Disk utility which has the following functions:
- Benchmark: measures the performance
- Info: shows detailed information
- Health: checks the health status by using SMART
- Error Scan: scans the surface for errors
- Temperature display
HD Tune Pro gives us accurate read, write and access time results and for the last couple of years has been gaining popularity amongst reviewers. It is now considered a must have application for storage device testing.
There is a lot of information here for us to take in.
Let's start with the Areca controller and how it affects the numbers. As you can see, the Burst Rate on all of the tests with the controller has gone through the roof. The controller features a user upgradable cache module that allows a portion of data to be stored in fast memory, and this will affect the Burst, Maximum and Average scoring for the better.
When looking at the scores from a single drive on the Areca controller and a single drive on the NVIDIA 680i SLI chipset, we see that the controller is far more efficient at transferring data, even in the Minimum category.
The next thing to look at are the RAID 0 numbers. The Samsung SATA-II drives scale very well when used in RAID 0 and all of the numbers nearly double just by adding another drive. We tested up to four drives and had very good results.
RAID 5 was thrown in, just because we could. It is unlikely anyone would run RAID 5 outside of an enterprise environment, but we had the controller and the drives and thought "What the heck; let's do it". The performance of a RAID 5 array with three drives is similar to that of RAID 0 with two drives. This was expected and in the read category we didn't encounter any ill effects.
RAID 5 is notorious for turning write speeds to mush, so let's move on to see what happens when we run the same tests but with write data instead of read data.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Samsung MCBQE32G5MPP-0VA00]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro - Read]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro - Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Everest - Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Real World Applications]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Tesla to double the number of Superchargers this year
- Death Stranding is an open-world action game
- CyberPowerPC's new Ryzen PCs: from $983 up to $2399
- AMD's cheaper Ryzen 5/Ryzen 3 CPUs should launch in Q2
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4GHz, 1800X performance for $329
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- Cannot access the BIOS on a laptop
- Extreme6 Z97 and Samsung M.2 EVO 960 setup
- BIOSTAR RACING B250GT5 Unboxing and User Experience
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications