In usual Abit style, you are able to adjust all sorts of settings in the Soft Menu III bios however, some things in particular caught my eye. You can set the FSB all the way up to 250MHz in 1MHz increments. On top of this, you can adjust the AGP and PCI bus divider to 3/1, 4/1, FIX PCI 33, FIX PCI 37.5 and FIX PCI 40. This is the first time I have seen a motherboard that allows you to fix the PCI bus at a certain speed. This means that the PCI bus will always be at the speed you set, which enables you to increase the FSB even further without losing stability. You are also able to set the CPU core voltage to a whopping 2.2V in 0.05v increments.
With air cooling, I was able to overclock my Pentium 4 2GHz processor (20x100MHz) to a huge 2.32GHz (20x116MHz) with a core voltage of 2.0v. Anything higher than that would not POST. This is a huge overclock, especially considering it was only with air cooling. At 2.32GHz my system was very stable and I was able to run Prime95 for 24 hours straight without one lockup.
Overall I am very pleased with the Abit BD7-RAID. It has a great feature set, good layout, excellent overclocking results, great stability and most importantly, good performance. It managed to beat the P4X266 chipset in all tests and was not too far behind the i850. That said, I have not had a chance to test the performance of this board against the SiS645 and the newly released VIA P4X266A chipset. Both of these chipsets have been shown by various media reviews as strong performers. Either way, the Intel i845D chipset is a very good alternative to the i850 chipset and you will not be disappointed if you purchase this motherboard. If you are looking for a stable, high performing motherboard with a great feature set to go with your Pentium 4, make sure you consider the Abit BD7-RAID.
* Great layout
* Very stable
* Good performance
* ATA133 support
* Excellent overclocker
* Diagnostic LED readout
* Detailed user's manual
* Only two DIMM slots
Rating - 9.5/10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gionee launches A1 in India
- Samsung to disable charging on remaining Galaxy Note7s
- New Tekken 7 trailer shows off devastating combos
- Xiaomi Mi 6 and Mi 6 Plus pricing leaks
- Elgato reveals new Stream Deck streaming hub
- TPM issue with 970-D3P
- Extreme9 3 way crossfirex
- Kingston HyperX Savage 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- NZXT Kraken X42 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse